Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working with the Beulah Aero head on my 13'2 7 wt Platinum. When I started using the line most spey pages guys recommended that I built a 12 tapered leader off the butt end of the head with 25, 20, 15, 12 mono.

I fish the Salmon River in NY which is shallow and has alot of snags. The tapered leader is nice but its a real hassle to retie a blood knot with this type leader on breakoffs.

Does anyone use or can they recommend a polyleader for this head? and if so what length is optimal and what sink rate window should I stay in? Also what would be the maximum length of tippet you would recommend off the polyleader?

Thanks guys look forward to your feedback.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
The best thing is a 12' or 15' 12# tapered mono steelhead leader. Tie 10# maxima 3-5' on the end for tippit. A double surgeons should be sufficient, and Bob's your uncle. The fly goes on the pointy end. ;-)

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
I would stick with the mono tapered leader and the section before the tippet have a loop fashioned using the Double Surgeon's Loop. Then on your tippet section, make a Double Surgeon's Loop and you have a loop to loop connection. All you need to mess with is the tippet section. I think this is exactly what Botsari was getting at ... ?? Sorry, my head is still fuzzy this morning :p

I've tried the 10' Airflo poly's off the end of my Aeroheads .... the float, hover and intermediate are okay. The fast sink starts to get "clunky" and the extra fast and super extra fast are "no goes" for me ... these are on the factory lines and not modified.
I have another set of AeroHeads that I have cut 3 to 4 feet off the tip that I use with the same poly's and it is better. I don't feel the "clunky" until the super extra fast sink poly is used. I usually run 6' of tippet off of the float, hover and intermediate. Then I cut back to 3 to 4 feet of tippet for the sinking versions. However, I do find the sweet finesse the AeroHead has is lost when using poly leaders. That's why I mentioned to stick with the mono leaders.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Just in case I guess we should be clear since you talked about homemade ones. The tapered mono leaders mentioned are the commercial ones. I like the rio ones. Depending on the maker they are about $4 each. The only real downside is their price.

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
Just in case I guess we should be clear since you talked about homemade ones. The tapered mono leaders mentioned are the commercial ones. I like the rio ones. Depending on the maker they are about $4 each. The only real downside is their price.
I knew that ... :roll:
It's been years since I purchased a commercially made tapered leader ... probably a good idea to have some on hand for the "leaf hatch" which occurs every fall. Using these could help reduce the leaf hook-up ratio :hihi:

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
After tying ten or so custom ones in a row one night I developed a whole new appreciation of the commercial, ready-made-in-a-plastic-baggie ones!

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
I make it a point to never tie more than two in succession :D
I figure if I'm having a really bad day and blunder more than two leaders, it's best that I go home before somebody gets hurt :hihi:

Mike

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
When we Spey cast and have a sinking fly the first purpose of a leader is to stop the fly fly in the end of a cast! The effect of leader taper is very difficult to see so just a length of mono is fine! When overhead casting a dry fly the tapered leader has positive influence to line loop behavior and soft landing but when Spey casting the anchor tames the back cast and it is the fly which pulls the leader straight in the end of the cast.

Esa

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I can't wait to try this line out as soon as this shoulder heels! I just purchased a 450 gr one second hand for my 13'4 6 wt. I think it should work well because I've heard these heads feel real light? If not I will try her on the 7wt. I took it in to Kiene's and had success on welding a loop on the front end! Homemade leader already attached ,just waiting for the doctors order..

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
I kept all my AeroHeads without loops as per Bruce's (Beulah) recommendations.

I prefer:

6/7 (450gr) on my 12'6" 6/7 MKS
7/8 (510gr) on my 14' 6/7 MKS

The 6/7 does work on my 14' 6/7 MKS, it's a little light, so I do prefer the 7/8 version instead.

Mike

·
Registered
999 Posts
Does anyone use or can they recommend a polyleader for this head? and if so what length is optimal and what sink rate window should I stay in? Also what would be the maximum length of tippet you would recommend off the polyleader?
Mike
Mike, I fish the Salmon River exclusively. What sink rate polyleader I use depends on the flow rate in cubic feet per second the Power Company is releasing that particular day. If you are interested send me a PM and I will explain what sink tips, polyleaders, tippet length, etc. I use on the river for the various flow conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
I guess the thing is w/respect to the aerohead (I got the feeling from the first post that the OP understands this) is that it was designed to be a dry line - a full floater for use with smallish flies on or just below the surface. I really love mine on my Onyx. Yes you can get away with light versaleader style sink tips, and with lightly weighted flies. Probably an intermediate would be awesome. For when you are in a situation where the sink rate is one of the more important issues, you might want to consider getting another line designed specifically to use tips. A number of good ones come to mind that are still elegant longer scandi style tapered lines, including Steve Godshall's SGS Scandi custom lines, and for example the Nextcast series of WA lines. You could also cut the aerohead back for tips. But in that case it would be (to steal an analogy used on here before) like using a thoroughbred to pull a cart. Every time someone cuts back an aerohead an angel gets a paper cut.

On the loop issue, you can weld a loop in the tip just fine on the aerohead. I did this, but later yealded to peer pressure, cut the loop, and made the Beulah "recommended" connection with several inches of 30# maxima cam. However, I'm not sure I'm sensitive enough to really tell the difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts