Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been looking at a couple new rods as my work bonus approaches and ive been mostly considering one of these two.
1. meiser highlander classic 15' 6/7/8
2. Beulah onyx 13'7 7 weight
my primary line systems will be scandi and mid to long belly. i'll be fishing the salmon river ny and a few random destinations over the next 5 years. what do you guys think of these two rods? anybody own one before? im more interested on info on the meiser.i test cast the onyx at speynaton with an arrowhead and I really liked it but the thought of a 15 foot sounds so freakin cool haha
thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Go with the Meiser. Bob is a class act and that is one phenomenal stick. Just a word of caution...his rods are addictive, you'll soon find yourself wanting more!

Seriously, get a hold of Bob. You can't go wrong.

Skeeter

·
All Tangled Up
682 Posts
ive been looking at a couple new rods as my work bonus approaches and ive been mostly considering one of these two.
1. meiser highlander classic 15' 6/7/8
2. Beulah onyx 13'7 7 weight
my primary line systems will be scandi and mid to long belly. i'll be fishing the salmon river ny and a few random destinations over the next 5 years. what do you guys think of these two rods? anybody own one before? im more interested on info on the meiser.i test cast the onyx at speynaton with an arrowhead and I really liked it but the thought of a 15 foot sounds so freakin cool haha
The Highlander classic 6/7/8 is a fabulous rod, probably the favorite of all my rods. And I've got a lot of rods. Light in hand, sweet and easy to cast, incredibly wide grain window. Wonderful at longer (but not super-long) distances with light mid-belly to long-lines like the NextCast 55 & 70s or similar e.g. Carron 65. I've fished it in some fairly small places, especially in winter, fishing mid-bellies with tips instead of worrying about a lot of stripping with shooting heads. That said it is really at its best with 50'+ heads, for scandi work and short spey you may be better off with the 13'7" rod if you don't already have something in the 12-14' 6/7/8 wt range. If you do, definitely go for the 15' Highlander, you won't regret it.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,532 Posts
I can't speak to the Beulah as I have only cast a few of their rods. As has been said already, the Meiser 15' 6/7/8 HC is a great rod. I have a SHS Skandi Extreme that came with mine and it shoots lazers when paired with either a 15' leader or a 10' polyleader and 5-6' of tippet.

It really shines for me with a 6/7 CND GPS although I know others who prefer the 7/8 version.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I can't speak for the onyx but I've fished the Highlander 15' 6/8 for 2 seasons now. Most recently last month for 10 days straight in Terrace. I line it with a GPS 8/9 and 15' 109 grain rio tips. It's a little too light for Skeena fishing but for the area you're considering it would be right at home. Having said that it has power in the butt section. I was able to land some very large fish on it (way above the rods recommendation).

For dryline work I use a Carron Jetstream 65' 8/9 gen2.

Having said all that I like my Powerlite 15' 7-9 more...it would be inbetween the power of the 6/8 and 7/9 Meisers.

G

·
Salmon River

My only comment is that I bet everyone suggesting the 15' rod has never fished the Salmon River in NY. It is not a wide river in most places and I would think something in the 12-13' range would be far preferable. To River Right: Try to borrow a 15' rod and try it in your favorite locations on the river. I'm guessing you might decide to go in a different direction. Bob makes several rods in the length I think you'd prefer.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Meiser Highlander C 6/8 is one sweet 15'er for the mid-bellies. Some lines that I've cast; Delta Long, FF70, and PowerSpey. All 7/8 weight. Ian Gordon 65 @600 grains is another stand-out dry line for that rod. A WA55 is also nice for winter - casting bigger flies and sink tips.

I've never been but plan to swing by the Salmon River NY late this fall. Thinking of bringing the 6/7 13 and 13.5'ers though.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Guilty as charged. I've seen it on TV shows and it's not wide at all. I'd probably use something in the 12'6"-13' range there.

FWIW - I only use 15' rods with mid/long belly lines, rivers at least 50' wide (usually much more), and rivers with no backcasting concerns.

My only comment is that I bet everyone suggesting the 15' rod has never fished the Salmon River in NY. It is not a wide river in most places and I would think something in the 12-13' range would be far preferable. To River Right: Try to borrow a 15' rod and try it in your favorite locations on the river. I'm guessing you might decide to go in a different direction. Bob makes several rods in the length I think you'd prefer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I totally agree that a 15 footer is way over kill for the salmon river and my 13 footer is way better suited for my home river, but I think I want this rod for the few place I could use it and for when I travel. I just came back from the Deschutes and I bet a 15 footer would be so much fun there:) also I swing in the Delaware river quite a bit and people look at me weird when i pull out the spey but it works haha

that and i would like to get into casting longbellys and such (looks like fun:D )

peter hardingak thank you very much for the offer i might take you up on that if i haven't pulled the trigger by then

wrx_canoe, honestly i thought B&W rods weren't in the same price range but that opens a new window. the only think i think i would be hesitant about would be, what if you had to send it back, when/if it broke? wouldn't it take forever to come from overseas ?

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
All things Cane and old clicker reels ......
1,004 Posts
I love the 15' 6/7/8 Highlander Classic. It is my favourite rod that I have ever cast/fished. But, I think others have brought up a good question. Is that size the best for that river. If it's too long a rod for that river, Bob's rods are all very nice. Looking into something in the 13' range might be a better fit. You should call him and dicuss designs and what you're expectations are. He is by far, one of the nicest and most knowledgable guys in the industry.

·
Registered
329 Posts
River right
Just my two cents as I have been doing this only a couple of years but I split my time between the Salmon River and somewhere else. My observation is that a 15’ is way too long for the Salmon river and a 13’7’’ is really only practical when on the lower part of the river. I use a 13’ rod only because I need a little length for the other rivers I fish otherwise I think a 12 ½’ rod in 8 wt is sufficient. But don’t take my word for it, if you are located near the river you have an incredible resource available to you in Malinda’s fly shop. Malinda is great and really knows her stuff. She carries a full inventory of Beulah, Echo, TFO and Hardy rods. I would go see her and handle a few rods.

Emel

·
Registered
38 Posts
RR,

The Highlander Classic is a wonderful stick, you cant go wrong with the Meiser. I recently cast a 16' 8 wgt and it cast like a much shorter rod. They have a very generous grain weight window and will cast anything from Skagit to long belly.

Cheers

·
Steelhead junkie
347 Posts
I have a 14' that I have only broke out a few times and it's length wasn't necessary, even on some of the runs downriver and on the DSR. That being said, when the flows increase, out it comes with a Skagit head and I have a version's blast.

Then of course there is are larger issues than rod legnth when swinging any decent size run on the SR - anglers who won't rotate, step in below you, and any other method of fishing on the river covers water differently.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
I'd say go with the mieser all day. However, why not get a shorter mieser rod, you'll be hard pressed to efficiently fish the salmon system with a 15' rod. Yes, you can certainly make it work, but in many runs you'll be pinched in tight. I've found a 12'6" rod works nicely for this system, and I've used 14', 13'6", and several others with clients, just not practical. Something to consider, enjoy ur new purchase!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha Im at Malinda's every weekend when shes open. drives my wife nuts because I always leave with something haha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts