Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For what it's worth, here's a better clip of the cast I have been playing with:

Upriver Snake Roll

Note that the line is aerialized and moved to the upriver side. Wait for the end of the line to pass the location where you make the first snake, then just make a snake roll motion as you'd normally make it.

No I do not think it will replace the single spey, snap/circle, etc - it's just a fun cast nothing more nothing less.

Juro

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Upriver Snake

Howdy Juro,

I was at the lake this evening attempting this but found myself reverting to the snap t 90% of the time. It feels a little awkward, however with more practice and watching the video, I am sure I can get this one down.

Excellent video.

Vinnie

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious...

It's been over a year now and I really use this cast frequently now. It's much quicker and quieter than a snap and the forward angle of the d-loop can be adjusted to take less backcasting room (although it requires clearance upriver).

Big angle changes are easy compared to a single spey and it omits the big splash and rip white mouse completely.

I have used a perry poke with it as well (an unriver version of another cast I stumbled upon the snake poke) which limits the space needed even more. A circle spey is better in that case when a heavy tip or big fly is used (no savings in quietness there anyway) but otherwise it's quicker and quieter with light tips.

Anyone using it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Juro

It looks like an advancement on a spiral single( better anchor placement control- I start the spiral far sooner- your variation looks like it offers a greater angle change), which I use a lot, will have to try it when the ice is off , sigh:)))

Will

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Will -

It does have certain similarities with the spiral single however I would say it has more in common with the snake roll on the opposite bank. The spiral has a little snake to get things started on the downriver side, this cast positions the line aerially on the upriver side then uses an upriver snake to place the anchor.

A key difference is that the snake on the same side as the anchor really simplifies change of direction where a snake on the dangle does not necessarily differ from a single spey c.o.d.

You could cast the line upriver, let it land, and then throw a snake but there is no point in letting it land when the force of it's upriver aerial advance is more than adequate to snake against. In fact if not done gently the line with probably whip.

I find it easy to do with a shorter head so it lends itself to my most frequently used sinktip configurations.

Another time I found it to be useful is when there were rocks in the water around me and a snap or circle would cause the line to catch on the obstructions. This cast has a fairly small footprint with shorter heads.

Where is does not make sense is when there are obstructions directly upstream from you.

·
Registered
886 Posts
juro said:
Hi Will -

Where is does not make sense is when there are obstructions directly upstream from you.
You could flick it all the way down again then you could have an upstream downstream snake roll, and if you had a bad leg so were only standing on the good one it would be a one legged upstream downstream snake roll, and if you had a patch on the other eye it would be a and cross over one eyed/legged upstream downstream snake roll and if you changed hands halfway through...........nah too difficult back to the single spey I knew where I was with that.

·
not as gullible as most
47 Posts
Willie Gunn said:
You could flick it all the way down again then you could have an upstream downstream snake roll, and if you had a bad leg so were only standing on the good one it would be a one legged upstream downstream snake roll, and if you had a patch on the other eye it would be a and cross over one eyed/legged upstream downstream snake roll and if you changed hands halfway through...........nah too difficult back to the single spey I knew where I was with that.
May we please reopen the nominations for post of the year? I have just found another candidate....:saevilw:

Zo2

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Willie Gunn said:
:hihi: :chuckle:

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can safely conclude that based on the response, largely defined by the amusing rebuttal of a friend who gets by using less casts than Chuck Berry had chords (3) ;), that this cast albeit fun to do and learn has fallen short of taking the Spey masses by storm.

And so, I will continue to quietly enjoy it as would a dog clean himself... 'because he can'. :hihi:

[TIC]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts