Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Swingin for Chrome
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out to a local fly shop today and picked up some quality rhea, spey plumes, etc etc...

Came home and tied up this black and blue intruder inspired off youtube by Joe Kayafas. Changed a few things up but this tie really suited my style and I can't wait to get this one swinging. Hope you enjoy! Really enjoyed tying this one up and can see a few different colour variations heading into my box !!

cheers,
Mikey

Attachments

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,264 Posts
Nice work Mikey,

I try hard not to spend every cent I have on materials but I get the best I can find and agree with you. Much more fun to work with and they fish better I think. Post more :)

Ard

·
Registered
784 Posts
i'm no inruder tyer, and this looks good, but i can help but think it needs some more bulk at the hackling points. More hackle, more amherst, more something.....

Still a good fly though.

E

·
Swingin for Chrome
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work Mikey,

I try hard not to spend every cent I have on materials but I get the best I can find and agree with you. Much more fun to work with and they fish better I think. Post more :)

Ard
Thanks for kind words Ard, there will be more as I spent a **** load today :smokin:

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
I agree with your statement Mike , better materials make better flies for sure and less frustrating too .
I also side with Eunan here , my preference would have a little more bulk up front , like a marabou collar and then your collaring materials over top , but that's just me .
I know Bill tied some very sparse intruders , much like yours and done very well with them .

Mike

·
Swingin for Chrome
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with your statement Mike , better materials make better flies for sure and less frustrating too .
I also side with Eunan here , my preference would have a little more bulk up front , like a marabou collar and then your collaring materials over top , but that's just me .
I know Bill tied some very sparse intruders , much like yours and done very well with them .

Mike
There is actually quite a bit of bulk up front, the rhea isn't showing up on my phone pic, didn't use the good camera, i used silver pheasant in kingfisher blue for the collar, in Joe video he used Schapplen. I thought this matched the Lady Amherst better. Just trying to stay away from the marabou lol. Thanks for the kind words :)

cheers,
Mikey

·
Registered
637 Posts
Prop using eyes

Just a personal preference based on aesthetics and function

Moving back the lead eyes and collaring some saddles followed by marabou and amherst etc... in front makes for a really nice umbrella shape

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not a fan of putting material in front of lead eyes. Doesn't make for a durable fly on the types of rivers I fish.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
I hope this one is not to full. There is a small brass ball hidden under dressing ( 0.25g or 4 gr).

As for others, believe or not, some of them only look like full and that is a hole idea behind these patterns. The support, Rhea, does not soak water, so do flashabou. Rhea has flat texture and holds only limited amount of water. Casting them with sinking Scandi heads in 500 gr + range is not an issue. I was a long time I used Skagit heads.....

Some of the biggest flies in the link weight only 0.75 g (12 gr ) and a trailing hook size 1 will add 0.35 g ( 5-6 gr).

·
Swingin for Chrome
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good man, your fly looked good before as well :)

I hope this one is not to full. There is a small brass ball hidden under dressing ( 0.25g or 4 gr).

As for others, believe or not, some of them only look like full and that is a hole idea behind these patterns. The support, Rhea, does not soak water, so do flashabou. Rhea has flat texture and holds only limited amount of water. Casting them with sinking Scandi heads in 500 gr + range is not an issue. I was a long time I used Skagit heads.....

Some of the biggest flies in the link weight only 0.75 g (12 gr ) and a trailing hook size 1 will add 0.35 g ( 5-6 gr).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Can you please explain why the fly is less durable with material in front of them? I'm confused :confused:
Often when you get hung up on a rock it's usually the lead eyes burying itself into whatever nook or cranny it can find. If there is material between the eyes and the rock, it can get pinched off. This is especially apparent on tube flies when people use a reverse cone to help prop softer material like marabou. Things like Ostrich are more durable but even that is still susceptible to damage and can ruin your front station if you catch a hanger.

That said, durability is an important intruder quality to me as I fish a few rivers that can eat flies at an alarming rate. So when I do retrieve my flies I want it to be in the best shape possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They look good and are fishy...each and every one. There are many ways to tie and many materials to use. If you don't want to use marabou, try artic fox / coon / pony.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Your second fly is looking very true to form. You are heading down the right road.

·
Swingin for Chrome
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great flies guys and some interesting points, love how everyone has their own style and they all catch fish!

Here is one in olive where I added some marabou on the head and schlappen on the collar and it thickened things up quite nice! :smokin:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts