Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smeltin' through the ice...

Cuz there's lotsa action (fishin' is fishin'), and I don't have to worry 'bout no tailing loops or "Bloody L's" with handlines...

·
Registered
941 Posts
And there's also few fish tastier than yellow perch from the icy Finger Lakes. There are some advantages to solid water.
B

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not losing my mind, losing my mind, losing my mind...

So far, no go with a hitched fly for smelt; but I haven't tried a waker yet!

The hole in the ice inside the shack is @ 7' long; if I break down my 4-piece 14-footer and go to a short-belly line due to back cast restrictions (the propane heater will otherwise burn the coating off the line during the formation of the D-loop), I think I can wake a bomber...a very, very small bomber.

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
don't know about you guys but

my winter has been pretty good. I'm by myself most the time and usually at least one steel per outing.

no complaints from me.

this year I'm layering with windstopper fleece and this has been very helpful.

sitting over a hole and looking down is not what voodooflies do best.

Gary

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Smeltin' through the ice...

I probably shouldn't tell you it's supposed to be about 60 degrees under sunny sky's again for the next few days. River's in premo shape, fish all over the place,........:razz: :smokin:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Fred & Voodoofly,

I envy you both. It's been so cold in the eastern great lakes that my rivers are either frozen or full of slush. I'm either tying flies, building rods or drinking.

Charlie

·
Registered
693 Posts
Fred & Voodoofly,

I envy you both. It's been so cold in the eastern great lakes that my rivers are either frozen or full of slush. I'm either tying flies, building rods or drinking.

Charlie

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I'm either tying flies, building rods or drinking.

Drinking is good ...:D

Actually, winter is probably 90% behind us. By mid-March we could be in the 70's; end of March 80 degrees is not common, but not unusual.

Couple of years back (late March) at the first Rogue Charity Clinic poor Steve Choate got so sunburned Dr. Yin had to perscribe for him. (Got to 86 degrees that Saturday) I cringed just looking at him come Sunday afternoon even with the SPF 100 basted on.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Winter has ended

To day is opening day on the Spey.

The tom toms,alright gillies with mobile phones, say 7 fish taken on the river the best 17lbs.

None to me though I tried hard, just kelts(downstreamers).
Full report tomorrow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Charlie! Topher!! Boys!!!! What is happening??

Topher sniffing ice??!!! Don't put your nose too close to the ice..... you just might get stuck there until Spring.

Charlie??!! Drinking again, I thought that Oban was empty!!

Cheer up boys, Mother Nature knows what she's doing!!

Do you??

What snow? What ice? It's Summer here!!!
:D

Ann ::eyecrazy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts