Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ii already have a mindset on a rod to buy for my summerrun spey fishing. But I thought I'd post this outt anyways. PMFlyfisher asked about St Croix's. But what I want to know in all your honest opinions what you think the best rod is iin the 12-13' 7/8wt range is.

My big problem is price. I can only spend abouut $300 max. I've heard nothing but good things abour the SC's. I can't do any buying until my tax return coomes in. But I don't want best iin my price range, I was curious overall if price was unlimited.

Just an extra tidbit. I'm not afraiid to buy used. One of the reasons I'm asking, becauue someties you coome across deals on used rods, so if I find oout soome good models I may look for them instead of running out and buying new. Plus, if by chance any of you have one you want to donate to me, yo're more then welcome. :D Seriously, you have a decent rod in or under the $300 range in that category, let me kknow. Iit'll be a couple weeks before I can buy, but let me kknow.

Thanks

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
IMHO the best deal you can get is the 7136-4 green Sage from 2001 discontinued, and if you hunt around you might get one fore about that price. I can get them for around $400 if I ever hear back from the store.

Hint: email Willie Gunn; he can do better than me!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Stelheader 69 thats what I am looking for a 7/8 weight in $ 300 range, but I really don't want a used rod.

Juro, let me know if you hear back from the store on the sages.

SC looks like the best one from what every one is saying to date.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you really want to get the very best rod for your money keep checking out the auction sites.E-Bay has had many excellent spey rods on there and several have sold for a fraction of what you would expect.I have purchased many rods and blanks off there and VFS.Always had great service and everything I've bought has been at less than half the retail price.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Tonyd,

Yes I have been checking those boards but since I do not know which spey rod I want nor have the chance here in Chicago to try some out, I don't feel comfortable buying a used one that some one else is dumping for some reason. Probably did not like it as may also not like it.

If I knew which spey rods through experience were the good ones I would think of going that route.

Now will just buy a new one based on the information from this board and my own research.

Personally, I would not feel right selling one of eight fly rods, after forty years of FF you get attached you know.

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, you do get deals on ebaay

Hey PM, I religiously check ebay. Ii've come across some great deals. Only problem, alot of sage rods go through the roof.

I don't mind buying used. Especialy since I can usually tell from person I'm buying from why they're selling the rod. Some people (which there are alot of these on a route I do) buy on impulse. Ii know one customer I took fishing fel in love with the "splender"' of my fly casting (9I suckkat flycasting, o hate to see what happens if he saw a pro). Hhe lived in Canterwood Country Club, a very rich development. He went out and paid a GOD AWFUL amoun on the most expensive rod/reel/and line he could find. It was a beautifulWinsston 9wt with an Abel reel. He used i once, and almost threw his rod ad rel into the river first day he used it. Ii bought the rod from him for $200, he gave th cobo to me basically. I ended up seling it for $1000 a week later (had an xwife tha was squandering money, and I jumped at chance to mak a quick buck legaly).

Ii've already been approached about a 13.5' 7WT Sage, and think I may go tha way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I LOVE my St. Croix 13 footer

I gotta say I am really impressed with the 13' SC. I used mine exclusively this past late summer / fall. I had a report on it back on ISC (under rods US). The performance is wonderful and the price can not be any better. If you want specific info on the rod just zip me an e-mail. I'll be glad to tell you what I know.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Steelheader 69

If you have any more people like that I want to meet them and take their expensive tackle off their hands. I will even buy them lunch to discuss it over. You made a killing on that transaction.

Barry

Yes want more specific information on the 13 " SC would use floating and ST with it. Is there really a problem with using STs.
Please PM to PM with more info. Really want a 7/8 weight rod not a 8/9 weight, I think that is what the SC 14 ft is right ?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sage 7136-4

I love this rod - it's not a cannon, but typically in summer the rivers are down and you're fishing with a floating line and smaller flies. On almost any river (other than a big fall BC river or Clearwater in Idaho), I'll swing the 7136 most of the time.

PS There's one on EBay for $17something right now. And I've seen others in good condition selling for under $250.

I'm also told that the new 7136-4 is a fine rod. Sounds like a totally different action, but it might be worth a look.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have to ditto all those folks that love their 7136's, I began my spey rod journey with this rod and enjoyed it immensely, and still occasionally pull it out of the quiver ...until i had the opportunity to cast a Burkeheimer 7139/3 last spring. It is without a doubt the finest 7/8 weight rod that i personally have ever cast...bar none! It is a truelly progressive action rod throughout, having the ability to cast short distances with just the rod tip, and allowing good feel and change of direction casting , as well as having the guts to flex into the butt section and throw 120+ feet, or when chucking tips is necessary. It really isn't big enough to fish the Thompson, but did survive a beautiful 12-14 pound wild hen that just about stripped a Loop evotec 8/11 at Johns' Rock this past fall..IMHO it's the best all around summerun spey currently available!

steve

·
Registered
917 Posts
I like my Burkheimer 13' 3" for 7/8/9. It fishes beautifully with the TT8 and with a custom long taper 7 wt.
bill

·
Registered
92 Posts
PMFlyfisher,there are alot of rods that sell on there that are new,not used.Alot of times flyshops will liquidate inventory,etc on there.Once you know what you want,it's a great place to look for it.While I'll agree that some of the items prices go through the roof,there are always a few that don't.I bought a Loop Adventure off there for $165US(now the starting price is up to $200 as the have been selling alot of them).It's a 9/10 14ft so it probably isn't what you are looking for.I've seen some of the St.Croix's and there is a Cabella's rod(also a 14ft 9/10,blank made by St.Croix) on there right now with no reserve and a starting price of $75US.It will probably end up going much cheaper than new.Everything I have purchased off there so far has been hassle-free and cost almost half price,or less.Unfortunately the only thing I have found that I don't like is having to wait for something I want. :D

·
registered text offender
1,330 Posts
a second motion for burkie, but my choice is the 7127 or 7134. a different action than the 3 pc. i think if you've gotta make 1,000's of casts between fish, you should enjoy the casting as much as possible. but, for under 300
you can find some great used rods in the classifieds here, and wont have to buy an import.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Been a long time since I've been on this post, but my favorite 7 is now my 7134-4 burkie, my favorite 8 is my old, reliable 8139-3 burkie. Just depends on the size of your rivers. Both incredible rods . . . skagits, scandis and long bellies . . . they do them all flawlessly.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
My Bob Clay 12'-7/8 3 piece spliced joint Suskwa is outstanding.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Been a long time since I've been on this post, but my favorite 7 is now my 7134-4 burkie, my favorite 8 is my old, reliable 8139-3 burkie. Just depends on the size of your rivers. Both incredible rods . . . skagits, scandis and long bellies . . . they do them all flawlessly.
Another very old thread comes back! I'm with the Burkie but in the 8133-3...I've not had the opportunity to cast the 8139-3, though I'd love to.

Think the thread was about the St. Croix (SC) 13' 7wt. Nice full flexing rod but nothing like the Burkies.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Another very old thread comes back! I'm with the Burkie but in the 8133-3...I've not had the opportunity to cast the 8139-3, though I'd love to.

The current rod has the same flex but it is a bit stronger then pre-2007/8 model.

·
Hopeless Romantic...
1,950 Posts
G loomis greaseline 8/9 14'er with a caron 60' head line.... Butter....Throw it as far as you like:cool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Loop GAS 6120

Hands down the best summer rod is the GAS 6120, it is however one of the most expensive rods out there also. The new S1 7120 is also a great rod, but even more expensive. Some times you just have to spend the money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts