Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was just wondering where a rookie Spey fisher could head and fish for Steelhead in Eastern Washington? I tried looking at the regs online today and the only river in Eastern WA I saw as being open was the Touchet. Are there any other eastern rivers open? I have a son in Olympia, so I'm definitely open to good winter rivers on the westside too. Many thanks, Russ

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Grande Ronde on the east side of Washington

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for responding middlecalf. I know I have a ton of dues to pay, and I really appreciate the help. Russ

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Bigrbart,

The recent pineapple express blowing through here has left all western WA rivers high and muddy and unfishable. Most eastside rivers are too high as well, even the Grand Ronde IMO. The Snake is up, but might still offer a decent shot. This looks like a good weekend for puttering around in the garage for me.

Sg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sg, thanks for sharing. I'm hoping this current system doesn't create flooding or mudslides for anybody. I should have mentioned that I'm an Elementary teacher and I will have the best opportunities to fish from Dec. 20th thru Jan 2nd. Hopefully by then the rivers will have moderated. Thanks again for taking the time to help. Russ

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
I see you're on the Yak. Have you considered swinging with a 2-hander for the trout population there? It's been years since I fished the Yak, hoping to get over there next year and swing a bit.

Also, it's not too far to the Clearwater from the Ronde (but it's Idaho), and the water below Orofino is usually pretty good because it gets a fair bit of water from a tailwater (Dvorshak dam).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Middlecalf I have a 5 wt switch rod for swinging streamers etc on the Yak. I just got the rod about a month ago, so I am working on developing a decent single spey, perry poke etc so that I can give the trout and the anadromous fish something to look over!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts