Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whats the best spot to go cast for pinks with a two handed rod. Preferably in the states but whatever.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pinks

I've been into them on Kodiak to an absolutely rediculous degree. As in you check your fly if you don't have at least one take per cast. You can fish at the mouth of any of the rivers on the road system and pound the hell out of them (Kalsin, Buskin, American, Russian). I don't know that I would use an AK trip just for pinks, but if you time it right you can get into a mix of pinks and silvers.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
WA's Skykomish, Stilliguamish (only open to fishing for pinks in the mainstem from tidewater up to the town of Arlington), and Skagit have huge pink runs forecasted for this year. All you need to get pinks on these rivers is to drive along the river until you find an access spot and then fish for them with anything as long as it is the color pink. The main pink run on these rivers is from the last week of August through September.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
thats funny you are looking for pinks!No offense,but reminds me of a time on the lower,lower Dean.Two guys flew in to visit a friend that had a cabin there and they just fished for pinks.We steelheaders were careful to not use anything with bright pink or red in it so as not to catch pinks and they were targeting them! Those little guys do pull damn hard [hate that shimmy vibration,however]and I can understand a trouter or panfish person fishing for them....but not when Steelhead and Chinook are around!!! And not in a place where travel is difficult and expensive! Thank god everyone is different!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Beau,

Here on the Skagit every odd numbered year when the pinks are running, there are folks who travel here from Europe, Japan, Asia, South Africa, Russia, etc. just to fish for the "mighty pink salmon run". It never ceases to amaze me how many there are who do this to fish for something that most of us consider a nuisance.

·
Registered
627 Posts
We get a ridiculous amount of pinks in the St. Mary's here in Michigan and one of its tributaries on the Canadian side (Garden River). They're a fun little fish on a five weight single hander or a really light spey rod and they run here before our fall steelhead move into the rivers which gives us something to do in September. We get the occasional pinook as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Beau,

Here on the Skagit every odd numbered year when the pinks are running, there are folks who travel here from Europe, Japan, Asia, South Africa, Russia, etc. just to fish for the "mighty pink salmon run". It never ceases to amaze me how many there are who do this to fish for something that most of us consider a nuisance.
Well You better think of them as really fun little fish!! because they are really getting scarce arounde B.C hHave fun while you can!! All the spills and over fishing are really turning things around. most peole are used to large salmon.. that is a thing of the past in our big rivers.. Once it"s gone Try to tell your grand kids that PINNKS are a PAIN !! Man This PISSES ME OFF>>:razz:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts