Spey Pages banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
When my old Dinkley is running Its pretty hard to talk to friends on the 2 way radios!!! That's COOL. Thanks Paul!!Classssick!

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,532 Posts
The question was best sounding not loudest. I answered the question from my perspective. I love the sound of an Olson but prefer a brass faced Perfect. Now if the topic was most annoying sounding reel I would have said Loop Classic, at least when the clicker is working on them.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
which reel sounds the best or growls the loudest
It would seem from reading the above that there could be 2 answers. I based my answer on the second part of the question but of course I also think it sounds the best:smokin:

Reactions: Steelchromedome

·
Registered
180 Posts
Olson is the loudest by far of any reel I've ever heard. I have a Mohlin gear and pawl that I think has the sweetest sound though.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
I'll cast my vote for the William Olson Disc Drag 4-inch. Sweet.

Just curious, is the sound much different then on G&P ?

S

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,532 Posts
Dmas,

I have one of the Mohlin's too. It does have a nice sound and I like that it is muted some on the retrieve. Have been told there are only 6 of these out there so nice to find someone with another one of the six.

Sinktip

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
they all sound good when you have a fish on!!

Of course I'm going to say my olson as it has a sound that is all it's own..My first fish on it resulted in pic's from Aaron who was on the other side of the river and said he heard it growling.....

I was down on the Clack fishing with Nate and hooked a nice wild doe...next thing I know there are kids and dogs all down watching...Guy who's house we were in front of came down and chatted for a bit....Said they were having breakfast and his wife said..."that's a funny sounding bird" the husband listened and said...."that's no bird, someone has a fish on" thought that was really cool..

Next to the the Olson, the Dingleys just have an amazing sound that I like a lot too....strong springs and they sing...

classic for a classic Greg...I think I was more excited hearing it then you were playing that hot fish!!! Very cool!!!

Todd I have hooked a couple hot fish on the taupe and it's almost a sub sonic sound...kind of scared me at first...of course blowing up the spring on a fish didn't help...but Arch. made me stronger springs for it and it hasn't let me down since...

Too be honest, I haven't heard one I didn't like when you got or see a hot fishing running down river....:)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sound!

If noisy is good, then my opinion matters 0.

I like 'em quiet and used to fish Abels that made no outgoing noise. That went away when I started fishing saltwater and was knuckle-busted too many times. Those fish get the adrenal glands working and without sound I inadvertantly went to grab the handle way too early a bunch of times.

I owned a bunch of Tibors that I liked...still own a Riptide.

My ultimate favorite is Hatch...sounds like a Ferrari red-lining in fourth gear, plus I am not worried if the guys on the far bank know I have a fish on or not!

BB~

·
Registered
481 Posts
Loud reels

Sounds like the reel makers will have to put dB levels on the reels in the future for fear of compensation claims for hearing loss later in life....:chuckle::chuckle: Damage is already done here....not from fishing though.

·
Registered
577 Posts
This is a subject that I have given lots of my thoughts to for sure. I only own one other reel than a Speyco right now so I'm pretty sure mine is not the best or loudest or whatever. I might be a little bias on this subject , but I just have to say my Hexad checking system is so sweet sounding. I really just dig it. She just sings a song at RPM's like nothing I have heard before, just all purrrrr, 168 clicks per revolution with a very smooth start up yet stout outgoing click. With the load dispersed in this way over more surface area instead of on one pawl or one hot point it's the key because all the drag wires have contact to the cog at all times so the reel drag loads evenly with really no tip bounce while fishing a fish.

Making click and pawl reels is a craft that has been in practice for 100 plus years and trying coming up with something 100% original is tough, and the multi checking concept is my first applied patent.

Now I am working on installing this Hexad system into all my new reel designs and you should hear the new 3 3/4" :cool: BUT it is not as loud as my first few hundred reels that I built, so if loud is your thing I will be happy to let you know I am making more reel housings with my first titanium drag bar installed again, just for fun, and just for another "Option" :Eyecrazy:

All in all the hexad system is like this analogy that comes to mind and what a prefect week to to post this.

The Bundle of Sticks
An old man on the point of death summoned his sons around him to give them some parting advice. He ordered his servants to bring in a bundle of sticks, and said to his eldest son: "Break it." The son strained and strained, but with all his efforts was unable to break the Bundle. The other sons also tried, but none of them was successful. "Untie the sticks," said the father, "and each of you take a stick." When they had done so, he called out to them: "Now, break," and each stick was easily broken. "You see my meaning," said their father.
Union gives strength.

Happy 4th guys, and God bless the United States of America

·
Registered
748 Posts
I always thought that the Hardy Perfects were the sweetest sounding reels I've ever had or run across. To my ears there's a musical note...maybe a subtle bell-like tone... deep in the middle of the click. It takes it out of the realm of the purely mechanical burr that some reels (even some other Hardys) have and that's what makes it memorable.

Without that note, I don't care if the reel is click and pawl or not, silent or vocal...might as well clothespin a playing card to your bicycle wheel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dmas,

I have one of the Mohlin's too. It does have a nice sound and I like that it is muted some on the retrieve. Have been told there are only 6 of these out there so nice to find someone with another one of the six.

Sinktip

sinktip,

I bought mine from a fellow speypager some years ago. It's LHW...supposedly only one of two made. It reminds me of a fine watch. I've never come across a reel with finer tolerances than that one...never handled a Bogdan though. I miss the exposed back plate for braking otherwise it would be my dream summer reel.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,532 Posts
dmas,

You got a LHW huh? I am jealous. Mine is RHW and for that reason doesn't get fished much. I do love it though and inquired a few years ago about sending it back to Bo to have it converted. He was willing but I never did.

Duggan

·
Registered
47 Posts
loudest reel

My most loudest reel are my vom hofe 4/0 restiqouche because theres something wrong inside the reel...!!
otherwise its my perfects!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
An interesting topic. The noise produced by a reel with a hot fish is many things to many people.
The reel that I have that sounds the best to me is a Pre-war Hardy Dural St. John. That it belonged to my father probably has a lot to do with it.
I have several St. Johns and they all sound just a little different. Whether this is from spring tension, the thickness of the reel body, or some other reason I have no idea.
Perfects are nice and the bigger the reel it seems to me the sweeter the sound. Also older ones seem to have a different "music" than the newer ones.
Anyways, regardlles of what you think is best, I' sure that most will agree there is no sweeter sound to the ear and soul of a fisherman than his favourite reel screaming as a hot fish pulls line.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts