Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Flyers66
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just though it would be fun, and curious as to which reel sounds the best or growls the loudest/most to those of us out there who like the sonic feedback on a fish!-vintage or modern...And do you best to describe the sound-

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I do believe my Olson G&P reel is louder then anything mentioned so far.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My Olson G&P has the most amazing sound of any reel I've ever fished (Hardy, Youngs, etc.). It's a rich tone that'll give you goose bumps and one that adds immeasurably to the experience.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What we need is a loudness rating system that's the equivalent of IBU--international bittering units--for hopped beers. How about IGU--international growling units? Maybe Poppy could set up a little sound studio in his shop;) and we could settle this question once and for all.

In any case, I've never heard an Olson, but a Bellinger G&P is very loud--close, in fact, to the St. John that Klickrolf mentions, though a little throatier.

·
Flyers66
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What we need is a loudness rating system that's the equivalent of IBU--international bittering units--for hopped beers. How about IGU--international growling units? Maybe Poppy could set up a little sound studio in his shop;) and we could settle this question once and for all.

In any case, I've never heard an Olson, but a Bellinger G&P is very loud--close, in fact, to the St. John that Klickrolf mentions, though a little throatier.
Ha! Awesome idea!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Sound measurements

Sidebar .... Would need not just measurement, but at a standard to address the many "reel" issues that would result. :)

Interested in sound power and the noise all of the other people hear on the river? Or sound pressure as heard by the angler (and then deal with be near field measurement issues)? The later would involve directional issues.

Tonal quantity? Keep to dbA or adjust it to get a lower growl versus a higher pitch scream? I like a lower sound, so I would want a lower weighted spectrum.

At what line velocity or rotational speed. The relationship between noise and velocity is not linear. My work is primarily focus on airborne noise, and not as familiar with mechanical induce relationships.

I understand the comment was as much in fun, but I just wanted to highlight there is a large gap between the effective quantative measurement of sound versus our qualative perception of what is loud or pleasing.

RookieSpey .... Nice fish!

Edit > I like the reels quiet and wife prefers a screaming reel. I key in, not on the volume, but the tone to tell me what is happening, as well as palming the rim. Everyone has their own thing.

·
Internet Scientist
1,385 Posts
copy on that Raspberry - spectral sound pressure level ("noise" as a function of frequency) would be the better metric. Lower frequencies travel further due to less absorption and scattering. One's ears' spectral response needs to be considered as well. "Seasoned" folks with hearing aids need not apply.

I think all of these "which is better" kind of posts - all in fun of course - should be normalized to dollars - e.g. what is the "best" per dollar. I would guess that the Olson noise per dollar is quite a bit less than a JW Young noise per dollar - LOL. Once an engineer, always an engineer.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Old and screechy

I have a 4" Reuben Heaton reel made for MacPherson of Inverness, dated to middle '20s, single pawl with caliper spring, very Dingley-like, that screeches on a hot run. The teeth on the gear are cut quite coarsely, so on low speed the reel sounds distinctive loud clicks - remember the scene from Jaws? - the single clicks? So on a hot run the noise is unbelievable. My Dad described the sound as "a screech just like the sound your Mom's Austin A50 made when the bearings failed."

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I thought my Salmon 2 was the best until I got a 4" Bougle MKIV, which I then thought was the best until I got a 4" pre-war MKII Perfect, which I then thought was the best until I got a 3 3/4" 1912 Perfect, which I then thought was the best until I got a 2 G&P Olsons.

The 1912 has a deep "throaty" click. The Olsons have that sound but on steroids! :hihi:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts