Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Don't and won't. Grumpy Cat here; mine ran the house for 23 years..

Just my .02 cents ... again.:rolleyes:

Well save for extended trips away from the Jeep--why? Even then 'judicious' on what do I really need that won't go into a shirt/pant pocket. My 'personal' roll eyes and 'what are they thinking?' Looking at fishing vests with enough shxt that would sink the Titanic, 99.99% of which will never see the light of day.

Box after box of 'flies,' 30 of each pattern, then 30 more on a different hook size (you get the idea?) and will actually fish maybe two or three over a long day?

I do not understand the totally dedicated trout fisherman/woman.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm using the Patagonia stormfront expensive one. I like it a lot. I won't buy anything that isn't 100 percent waterproof anymore, and this pack is def that. Used it for a month in the Bahamas as well for wading the flats. It's not perfect though, if you tend to bring a lot of stuff, it can be uncomfortable on your shoulder as the weight is on one shoulder instead of two. But I don't load much weight into my fishing packs. It's roomy for layers ect.
Zipper is tough to pull as its waterproof. It's airtight. Front small pocket is only water resistant.

Another thing is the sling can cover the hand warmin pockets and front zipper on your waders, depending on what waders you have. That's a bit annoying.

Bottom line for me though is its tough, completely waterproof, holds all my layers, nicer for me casting with a sling, and handles the salt too.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
SageBrush Hip and Deck pack. Comfortable, enough room for lunch, raincoat, a couple boxes of flies, camera, and it is COMPLETELY dry.

Have a Sagebrush Day pack for days I want to carry more, which are fewer and fewer as I get older.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm using the Patagonia stormfront expensive one. I like it a lot. I won't buy anything that isn't 100 percent waterproof anymore, and this pack is def that. Used it for a month in the Bahamas as well for wading the flats. It's not perfect though, if you tend to bring a lot of stuff, it can be uncomfortable on your shoulder as the weight is on one shoulder instead of two. But I don't load much weight into my fishing packs. It's roomy for layers ect.
Zipper is tough to pull as its waterproof. It's airtight. Front small pocket is only water resistant.

Another thing is the sling can cover the hand warmin pockets and front zipper on your waders, depending on what waders you have. That's a bit annoying.

Bottom line for me though is its tough, completely waterproof, holds all my layers, nicer for me casting with a sling, and handles the salt too.
+1 on the stormfront sling. Air tight so also acts as a flotation device whenever I take a dunk in the river. :p

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have the simms guide sling but Im switching over to the orvis gale force waterproof sling as when I wade deep the contents in the simms pack gets wet.I find that Im streamlining what I pack for light weight and comfort and find the gale force pack to be big enough.

·
Administrator
2,452 Posts
Sagebrush Dry Hip Pack for all steelhead fishing and any wading where I'll be using just a hip pack. VERY comfortable hip pack and water proof. Have the Sagebrush Dry backpack for a day's worth of stuff and extra clothing that I throw in the truck or drift boat. Bought a Patagonia Atom sling for trout fishing (wading or drift boat) and it appears and feels like it's going to be perfect for that purpose.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am using the Orvis Safe Passage sling. It's not too big and the second strap to keep it on my back when I want it to stay put is really nice. Though in retrospect maybe the gale force sling would have been better for times when I'm wading deep. Other than that I really like it. Oh and when the sling pouch is on your back the main strap has a pocket and some loops for forceps and such. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Renewable Wader Sling

For four years now my former Simms waders, now a Renewable Wader sling bag has been over my shoulder. I went with zippers that were not waterproof so that moisture in, would not stay in. It makes the bag highly water resistant, but nothing molds or rusts inside.

Great price and is lasting a long time. I'm pretty hard on my stuff but this is tough, probably the Simms waders are tough too.

Two large zip pockets, and they took the zipper pouch from inside the waders and put that inside the larger pocket. One pocket on the sling too that holds my cigar cutter and lighter.

Flyboxes in one pocket, tippet, sinktips, etc in the other. My licenses go in the zippered pouch.

Check it out.

·
Administrator
2,452 Posts
For four years now my former Simms waders, now a Renewable Wader sling bag has been over my shoulder. I went with zippers that were not waterproof so that moisture in, would not stay in. It makes the bag highly water resistant, but nothing molds or rusts inside.

Great price and is lasting a long time. I'm pretty hard on my stuff but this is tough, probably the Simms waders are tough too.

Two large zip pockets, and they took the zipper pouch from inside the waders and put that inside the larger pocket. One pocket on the sling too that holds my cigar cutter and lighter.

Flyboxes in one pocket, tippet, sinktips, etc in the other. My licenses go in the zippered pouch.

Check it out.
This sounds very cool...plan on checking this out. I don't see anything on their site. Did you make the pack yourself?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Seal line seal Pak

I've used a Seal Line pak for a couple seasons. I can fit two small fly boxes, Tippett spools, tips, a couple heads and a few other things like a headlamp and small camera. Waterproof so great for rain or deep summer wades. Fairly inexpensive as we'll.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I had my Patagonia Stormfront out today. So far it's my favorite way to carry my gear for winter wading.

·
Registered
34 Posts
for four years now my former simms waders, now a renewable wader sling bag has been over my shoulder. I went with zippers that were not waterproof so that moisture in, would not stay in. It makes the bag highly water resistant, but nothing molds or rusts inside.

Great price and is lasting a long time. I'm pretty hard on my stuff but this is tough, probably the simms waders are tough too.

Check it out.

these are great shoulder bags!! I use one for every day purposes ......love this bag, and what a great way to re-cycle.

·
Compulsive water gazer
68 Posts
The best sling pack IMO is one that is light weight, inexpensive, and comfortable. Tried the Orvis one, it was too stiff and pockets opened at wrong angles. I got three very basic fanny packs at Dick's, about $12 each. Keep one loaded for swinging, one for eggs & nymphs, one for centerpin stuff. Just lengthen the strap and wear it sling style. Simple is good.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have tried a lot of them
I am currently using the Orvis Gale Force sling and I like it. I decided on this one because it is waterproof material and it is not excessively large. Most of these packs are way too big. I really like this on rainy or snowy days and especially when I’m wading deeper.
My favorite pack was my Fishpond Satchel. Real “old School” look and I liked the fact that I could just reach around and stick my hand in the top of the pack to get what I wanted but it hung lower which was not good for deeper wading and everything got wet when it rained.
The thing I do not like about sling packs is the weight on my shoulder. Maybe I'll try a water proof fanny pack or I may even try a low profile vest or lanyard under my wading jacket. I find I do not have enough room for everything plus a cell phone and my keys in my jacket alone.
However, so far the Orvis pack has been best solution for me.

Emel

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nice tip on being a flotation help,just got one of these and well pleased up to now.
Chris (Greenwell),
I probably should preface this by saying that it doesn't replace the need for a proper life jacket but it sure does keep water from entering my wader from the back by being buoyant.

·
K-Roc
199 Posts
I like the Patagonia Stormfront sling too. I usually carry a dslr so i need the pack to be fully waterproof. Not the most comfortable when you have extra layers, a full Nalgene bottle or thermos, a camera and fly boxes so i usually find a good place to put it down if I'm going to be fishing a run for a while. The sling tends to creep down to your lower back when heavy, i'm not sure if Patagonia could improve on the design to stop it from doing this… If you carry lots of heavy gear i'd recommend the Stormfront backpack, it's been nicely redesigned with a wide and supportive waist belt.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Donkey hunter I know you are looking for a sling pack, but I just bought the Umpqua Tongass 650 waist pack which comes with a shoulder strap. I bought this pack because of the waterproof fabric and roll top feature which will allow me to take my annual dunking or two and not have to worry about soaking my flies and gear inside the pack. Just trying to help. Sadly Umpqua doesn't make their sling pack with this material, but I bet they will soon.

Good luck,
Russ

·
Registered
108 Posts
storm front sticky zipper

CastAndStep,
You should find a small tube of lubricant in one of the inside pockets. At least mine came with it. Tzip I believe it's called. Put some on the zipper and it's easy to open and close.
SA

1 - 20 of 28 Posts