Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

I wanted to hear some opinions on what is the best runninline what You have used or using. Why it is so damn good or what makes it best for Your type of fishing?

Im dying to hear what You gyus think, we have lots of real good fisherman turning back to using monofilament line here in Finland.

I like Trilene Big Game (green) on my onehand and my double hand rods. I think its the best shootingline on the market now- for me.

Only problem whit this line is that its hard to find thick enough here in Finland. I use 0,61mm diameter( it says 24kg so its round 50lb ?). It would be better to have 0,71mm, little bit easier to use..

This line is very cheap and You can but over 100m on Your reel, If it gets bad on first 25m You just cut it off and make a new loop - very easy to use.!
The older the line gets its more fun to cast...no problem doing over 120 feet casts underhand :D

I have tried Guidelines LinkLine, Sawada, Loop, but Trilene really kicks...something :)

One thing I have noticed: I have to little bit use my hand or rice the rod after the cast that the line speed would drop- if I want that the fly will land nicely...same problem whit LinkLine.

So what you think?

Thanks alot and thight lines to everybody!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The Rio "Slickshooter" 50lb. flat mono is awesome.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
As I've stated before, braided mono (preferably gudebrod; but any braided mono will be OK) of 25# to 35# test is the only running line I've been using for over 20 years. It is just stiff enough to help you control your cast after it out yonder.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Depends on the application

If you are using a fast sinking head and need it to sink, then mono of some form is called for (I last used plion). For most work I prefer coated flyline or braided mono.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i use twenty pound for hotshotting,,awesome,drift guys call it rope but ,,,i don't leave tackle in the river,stretchy, but i blow people away with my ability to get the plugs back,if they get em' stuck,,,never thought about using it for shooting heads,have used it for 30 years,dependable,reliable,tough,,,

M

·
0 Posts
Well if you can find a running line with no stretch and no kinking problems you will be lucky. Mono has stretch and to negate it you need to go up in breaking strain to get stiffness to negate knots etc. You still have to wet it and keep it wet. On the other hand braided mono has stretch and doesn't cast as far.
Depending on how much running line you need you can make one that has no stretch and no knots and has a braided mono outer to increase the abrasion resistance. It also has high breaking strain and works well in a basket.
All you do is to get a Doll needle and a spool of 20lb Gudebrod braided mono and put your GsP, Spectra or Dyneema, not fused, best if 50lb, or if you can get it, late version Bionic Braid in 30lb, backing into the needle and push it up the centre of the braided mono until it exits the end. With 9 foot rods you need about 100 feet, if DH rods and long lines or heads about 120 plus feet. It isn't easy to do, and it takes time. When you finish you simply splice the mono braid back into itself, like coaxially and put one drop of Loctite 406 CA glue on it. That makes the loop at the end. Next stretch the lot getting rid of twists etc and put a drop of glue every 6 feet or so. This removes the stretch and the stretch differential between the GsP and braided mono. At the end where you backing line goes into the mono you put a drop of glue and cover the end with aquaseal. It goes very well through the guides, is thin, and floats slightly. It has no stretch no knots, just one loop connection at the end. I use it pretty well all the time.
But it isn't something you should fish around reefs and nasty fishes, for that try 50lb Fireline. Max

·
Registered
267 Posts
Airflo makes 5 different styles of shooting head running lines in different breaking strengths/diameters, and in floating and intermediate densities. One, the 'Non-stretch Miracle Braid', sounds something like what our Aussie friend is making.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have four of the five styles of Airflo running line. You can have them. Where the factory loops or line have split and cracked, I repaired myself instead of utilizing the replacement warranty. Just not worth the trouble. Only had them for a couple months. Just don't think they were designed for someone who fishes as much or as hard as I do. I will be looking at gudebrod and some of the Swedish line like Guideline and Vision soon. Will keep using the Slickshooter until I find a suitable replacement.

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
mattzoid!
Take my advise. Don't by any shootingline from Guideline, they suck!
Vision Shooter on the other hand is the best i've ever tried. Looks a lot like the old ken sawada "flat beam", maybe the same thing?

M

·
0 Posts
Look this is not something you can buy, you have to make it yourself, and it has no knots, doesn't crack, it doesn't stretch and it shoots very well and works out of baskets. The core is GsP and its best if it is your backing line that you stuff up the mono braid.
But you can make it a straight out running line with loops at each end. It doesn't need soaking but its better if you polish it, I use Mr Sheen, a furnature polish, then it slides through runners really well.
With the no knots it doesn't get what they call knot cutting, and you don't get fibre fracture from your line hitting runners all things that are GsP, Spectra or Dyneema braid problems.
This thing was developed because I wanted a running line that was the best you can get. But it's DIY. Max

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello fellow fisherman...please try ones that trilene Biggame o,61mm green flurosent monofilemanet line as Your shootingline.
It really works well.

I have used it now for couple summers and winterfishind in my one hand on doublehand rods - it´s the best by far! Only broplem is that You have to make it wet before You use it at first time - older the line gets it chances better. even its very slick it turns little bit like hhhmmm...whats that word - dog damn - well anyhow it doesn´t feel that stiky anymore.

I have tried Linklines, Vision, Sawada,3M, Rios, Amnesia etc. Nothing is so good or even cheap to use and its strong as hell.

Well that is just my opinion but, try it fwe times :D

Have a great holidays everybody!

Toni

1 - 13 of 13 Posts