Votes: 15 4.8%
  • Monic GSP Level Shooter

Votes: 14 4.5%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite running line type to use with a skagit or scandi head? I'm looking for something to use on a 1137-4 switch and a 13689-4 Spey rod.

Thanks in advance for your comments

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
1. Sawada flat beam - in my view the best I've ever used & continue to use

2. Penn shock leader 40lb bs (fluo yellow, mono) good, but limited lifespan, but very cheap - about to try another shock leader make...

3. Amnesia 40lb bs (black, red, chartreuse) - I used to use this a lot, but the above have now taken over....

I have largely stopped using Monic - due to significant cracking in the coating

Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
Slightly biased but the Guideline Compline 42lb mono is a great choice. Slick and thin enough for long casts but one can manage to handle it very well and still when cold. The only one I used to use was the Sawada 50lb but the 42lb has taken over the task now. Both of these monos are intermediate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i really love the latest Rio Grip shooter. i run a skagit off a switch rod so the cork isnt real big like some of the larger spey rods so the grip "handling section" is quite a nice feature that allows me to pinch the line tight. that and i fish with gloves in the winter. highly recommend it

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Guideline Compline. It's my understanding this flat beam mono intermediate is the same as the Sawada flat beam?

Hard to find in Canada...

Reactions: Cloner

·
Registered
53 Posts
Big Game 40# Solar Collector is the best I have used. Wish I would have tried it years ago because it's cheap and handles and shoots great.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
Trouble with Polls

There are always brands/types left out. What about Varivas and Airflo's Ridge? I used both and liked them a lot until I discovered Miracle Braid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rio connect-core needs to be in this. I'm in love... Shoots nicely, and actually has a "handling" section. I've yet to get my line tangled/ wrapped around my first guide since switching to this shooter.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If I only had to choose one it would be the 50lb Sawada. However I'm' glad I don't have to because stuff like Rio Powerflex and Guideline TSL rocks in some situations. The worst for me has been the Ridge lines. They don't last and tangle super easily on the first stripping guide. I hate that stuff nowadays.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think we northerner do have more or less the 50lb Sawada as a favourite and it might has to do with the rivers we fish. Hard flowing and rocky so we need stuff that we can rely on.
If I only had to choose one it would be the 50lb Sawada. However I'm' glad I don't have to because stuff like Rio Powerflex and Guideline TSL rocks in some situations. The worst for me has been the Ridge lines. They don't last and tangle super easily on the first stripping guide. I hate that stuff nowadays.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I do like some other mono's as well. For example Sufix 50lb and the new URL from SA/FLyfisheurope, but what separate's them from Sawada is the fact that when you get a kink in them, it's all downhill from there. On the Sawada you can just stretch it out and your good to go again. Plus it just get better the more you use it! How many other products are out there like that? Not many I'll say. Of course it could float and it could be a bit more supple in the cold, but those things I can live with. In the long run that stuff just beats everything out there. Sad but true :D . IMHO

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
I've used a very broad variety of running lines and always ended up going back to the Ridge versions, and this was long before my association with Airflo. Tangling isn't an issue unless casting puts twists into the running line. Twists can be removed simply by removing the head and letting the running line dangle in the current for a few minutes.

As a frequent cold weather angler, I've found that I can hold on to the Ridge lines while the others will slip out of my frozen fingers. Never had an issue with memory or durability and I've used some of these running lines for years. One of my 20 lb. orange Ridge running lies was purchased when they were first released and I've been using it ever since. With reasonable care, they will last.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Airflo Ridge in cold weather,,,,, less tangles and does not retain memory.

RIO Powerflex in warmer temps,,,, very slick and smooth distance.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
FKrow has it. In warm weather the Yellow Rio running line (is it 20 or 25 lbs?) is superb stuff, especially on a switch rod.

But give me my Ridge in the winter.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Airflo Ridge in cold weather,,,,, less tangles and does not retain memory.

RIO Powerflex in warmer temps,,,, very slick and smooth distance.

Regards,
FK
Spey Casting North East
Same for me, although a pal of mine uses the "Extreme" ridge which he says is a bit stiffer & handles better when it's warm.

Regards, Tyke.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts