Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the best reel there is to buy and like to have your advise. Let's asume that price is no issue ;)

The following requirements are demanded;
- Direct drive
- Saltwater proof
- Robust (has to deal with sand, salt, freezing, falling on rocks etc.)
- min 200m 30pds backing
- maintenance free or as good as maintenance free
- Has to last a lifetime
- To be used with a SH #11 and/or a TFO 1212

I would say (in this particular order);
1. Tibor
2. Abel
3. Ross

Tl Andor

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
recommended reel...

I would personally recommend from the Daniellson stable of reels...

Both of these wide arbor reels have peformed very well for me on a variety of spey rods between 13 & 15'. Tough, durable, great drag, and look nice too!

I have compared these reels to equivalent models from Scierra, SA, Abel, & Hardy, and IMHO, Daniellson's come way out in front.

The LW 8twelve takes WF10F + 275yds 30lb backing, weighs in at 205g and is 107mm diameter - Daniellson lists these @ $588

The HD 9thirteen takes WF11F + 250yds 30lb backing, weighs 290g, & is 108mm diameter - D. listed @ $424

Either may be obtained for >$100 less than the makers' listed prices from an Australiam dealer via a very popular worldwide auction site.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Speyducer,

When you have listed the price for Danielsson reels I thought that it went up compare to what I paid . But the prices listed on Danielsson US home page are still the same and much lower then the one you gave:
HD 9-13 : $430 and LW8-12: $ 310.

I would only add that both reels have sealed drag, very important feature when fishing in salt water environment.
For the rods Dorretje listed HD 9-13 would be much more suitable. I have been using this one for Kings in fresh and salt water as well as for Tarpons and love it.

Martin

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Old Florida Nautilus is also a good reel with a sealed drag.
Tibors & Abels, good as they are, to my knowledge do not have sealed drags.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Quote "When you have listed the price for Danielsson reels I thought that it went up compare to what I paid . But the prices listed on Danielsson US home page are still the same and much lower then the one you gave:
HD 9-13 : $430 and LW8-12: $ 310."

Sazan,

I was looking at the Daniellson EU price page, prices given in Swedish Kronor, & then converted by me to US$. I must, therefore, stand corrected; the prices you have stated are almost dead-on that from the Aussie source.

Thanks for that correction.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just don't know how you can beat the Bauer MX5&6. They are truly outstanding, smooth and durable reels....and made in Oregon.

Kurt

·
Banned
501 Posts
For a salt water fishing, one of the requirements originally mentioned, I would go with a reel having sealed drag like 1) Danielsson or 2) Nautilus.
Although Bauer MX is a good reel, the lack of the sealed drag is a disadvantage when used particularly in salt water.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
folks fished for many years and caught many fish in the salt without sealed drags. if you fish a reel that has a drag system that salt (or water for that matter) does not effect , then you do not need a sealed drag.

sealed drags can be cool but they are by no means, in anyway, a necassary feature of a quality saltwater reel.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The brother of .......

.............what appears to be the leader of the pack in saltwater spinning reels is the Van Staal Convex 9/12. I talked to a lot of people up and down the east coast,they all raved about the spinning reel and fly reel. I've been very happy with mine.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
You might have a look at the Terry Hayden Reels from TFO they were designed for use in the salt.
the Hayden 1 Large Arbor reel is type 3 hard anodized has a large surface cork drag weighs 11oz holds 200yds of 30lb backing and balances a TFO 1212 nicely. the price is nice too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do some reading on the various warm saltwater flyfishing forums,like Dan Blanton's,and you will get a good idea of what the better saltwater reels are and how they stack up against each other.

As far as bullet proof,saltwater reels go,Tibor,Abel,and Billy Pate have always been at the top of the heap and both have cork drags.With proper maintenance these reels are as good or better than any other on the market in a saltwater environment and thier popularity down south speaks for itself.Islander is another cork drag reel with superb reliability as are Haydens(Terry Hayden has a great reputation for building some of the world's best saltwater reels and he recently designed a similar style,but lower cost version of his reel for TFO that should be worth some serious consideration) and Fin-Nor reels.

That said,there are also some fantastic sealed drag reels available like Nautilus and Danielsson(the HD for serious heavy duty stuff).Charlton reels are arguably the best of the sealed drag reels,and while no longer being made now,you can still find them on places like EBay every now and then.They cost a pretty penny but they are IMHO the most bomb proof modern style reels ever made,with sealed train stopping drags and drop dead gorgeous looks.If price really isn't an issue,I don't think you could find a better reel anywhere.

Heard good things about the Van Staal C-Vex as well.Ross makes a good reel for the dollar as well,and while heavy,the Penn International is a solid saltwater reel as well.The newer Hatch models look very nice too.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
the best & the rest

I don't think anyone will argue the merits of some of these reels mentioned. They are among the best the market has to offer. That said, however, There is something to be said about the various drag systems found on some of these reels.

Generally speaking, saltwater reels are not subjected to dunking in sub zero water. The formation of ice crystals on the drag surface is not an issue. Whereas the formation of salt crystals, and the ability to rinse them out after a days use is.

Anyone with any type of engineering background, myself included, can certainly appreciate the thought that goes into the drag systems on some of these reels. Charlton for instance, used to boast of something like nine square inches of drag surface and carbon discs. On the other end of the scale are the click drags. Which is next to no drag at all.

Then there is this "ability to stop a freight train" business. Usually closely followed by the losing the fish of a lifetime due to reel failure argument. Another argument less often heard, but perhaps holding more validity is "I make my living with my hands" This one I heard from a dentist who was fishing a dual mode Sea Master.

The point I am trying to make here is perspective. If you are using 12 lb tippet, you are not going to be stopping any freight trains. No matter what kind of drag you have. If you fish in the snow, ice is an issue. If you fish in the salt, salt is an issue. If you fish out your back door, losing a fish now & then is no big deal. (is it Fred? :chuckle: ) Otherwise,,,,well,,,you still might lose one now & then anyway.:tsk_tsk:

G

·
NrthFrk16 said:
van staal is owned by zebco. zebco does not exactly epitomize quality if you know what i mean. :whoa:
I usually agree with a lot of what you post, but this one needs a comment. Van Staal is owned by the Bradley Corp which also owns Zebco, and FinNor for that matter. The Van Staal reels are not being made by Zebco and their quality proves it.

I don't know where the idea arose that one needs a sealed drag for saltwater fishing. I would agree with that IF you're talking about surf fishing, or maybe even wade fishing for bonefish. It's my opinion that sealed drags are even more important for steelhead fishing, especially when wading. This site has had several threads over the years regarding the hydroplaning that comes when a reel gets dunked while fishing. That happens on non-sealed reels, especially those with cork drags. There are lots of ways of minimizing the chances of that happening, but it can and does happen. When saltwater fishing from a boat, there really is little chance of that. Therefore the gear and pawl, drawbar drag, cork or carbonfiber drag reels are better in my opinion. Almost every sealed drag reel also features a one-way bearing and those things are notorious for corrosion problems. This seems to be the case despite some serious attempts at maintenance. Understand that the drag is sealed, but the one-way bearing is still vulnerable.

Judging from the specification of the orginal post on this thread. I would say that Ross, Van Staal, Old Florida, Loop, and Danielsson are the best that come to mind of reels that are currently available. I would also add the Henschel Dual-mode, but one of the requirements was direct drive. The Henschel has NO maintenance requirements except to be rinsed down after use in the salt. Since the only disadvantages of a dual-mode over a direct drive is price and to some degree weight, it should probably deserve to be on the list.

Although I'd stack the TFO/Haydens right up there with the Tibors and Abels, it would have the same disadvantages. That would be maintenance and the chances of hydroplaning. I say that because nowhere did the original post say it was going to be used in saltwater and this is a spey dominated forum. So I assume it will be used at least occasionally in freshwater.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Omitted from the list

dorretje said:
I am looking for the best reel there is to buy and like to have your advise. Let's asume that price is no issue ;)

The following requirements are demanded;
- Direct drive
- Saltwater proof
- Robust (has to deal with sand, salt, freezing, falling on rocks etc.)
- min 200m 30pds backing
- maintenance free or as good as maintenance free
- Has to last a lifetime
- To be used with a SH #11 and/or a TFO 1212

I would say (in this particular order);
1. Tibor
2. Abel
3. Ross

Tl Andor
How come no one has mentioned either Lamson Waterworks Force or LiteSpeed?:confused:

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I have been eyeing the Grudelshiffakken X540ZH, built using technology from recent Mars and outer-planetary explorations. Material composition has been only recently declassified, from new ceramic, metallurgic and cellulitic materials. These materials are anodized to Type X12, capable of withstanding the highly corrosive surfuric-acid oceans of Jupiter. The drag is the same one used to on Mars Rover brakes, designed to withstand temperatures ranging from -200 to + 1400, typical of Mars polar and Earth atmosphere shuttle reentry temperatures.

This reel has a dual-design drag, with redundant sealed and unsealed plate type drags engaged either individually or simultaneously at the touch of a button. There is no physical click sound, as this would detract from the reel's operating smoothness, but we have inserted an electronic silicon click chip that automatically selects the correct sound for the quarry being pursued to mimic the most popular reel sounds of the past 200 years. This is done by comparing conditions of local climate and atmospheric chemistry recorded within the reel at 30 second intervals against a world-wide database of conditions programmed into the reel's circuitry.

Finally, an array of small lights located at the outmost edge of the spool handling rim glow and change color as a function of spool rotation speed, so that by mere glance a user can gauge the velocity of running fish.

Weight of the reel is a mere 5 oz, and ultra stupendous arbor design, backing capacity is achieved by use of proprietary genetically engineered spider-gel spun backing with thickness only 10% of a typical human hair.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Steve - but I bet they are expensive!!!:). And at 5 oz you would need to wrap lead somewhere to balance the rod!!

·
JD
3,641 Posts
SSPey said:
I have been eyeing the Grudelshiffakken X540ZH, yada,yada, yada, recorded within the reel at 30 second intervals against a world-wide database of conditions programmed into the reel's circuitry.
Surely you ment nano seconds?

SSPey said:
Finally, an array of small lights located at the outmost edge of the spool handling rim glow and change color as a function of spool rotation speed, so that by mere glance a user can gauge the velocity of running fish.
Ah yes, the multi-colored chrome plated bebop gems we used to have embedded in our full race fender skirts back in the 50's.:razz:

G

·
Add the condition that we are talking about best reel for the price, or best value in a reel with these other attributes, and I think they'd be worthy additions. They are not, IMHO in the league with most of these other reels and the stipulation was that price didn't matter.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Steve,

I have one of those there reels and it is just too nice for me. Plus the other day while landing a 35 pound hatchery fish, it made the sound of a 1977 Phlueger Medalist when I wanted the '78 Coast to Coast Trouter. Yep, they have some bugs left to work out.

I will trade you straight across for an 80 year old 3 3/34 Perfect :D

'tip

1 - 20 of 26 Posts