Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every body!

Im pretty new on this forum and Im more than interested to see how differently Scandinavian and US/Canadien things are on rod and reel things/busines.

I was whondering that what is the best reel on 15´ salmon rod when fishing whit shooting head - what you think and why they are so good. If I get any answers Im more than happy :D

I know there are many good reals in the market - money is not the point when judging the reels. So if You like or think that the Bogdan´s are the best - so be it.

Im waiting :D

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Best Reel

Hello Finnfly:

I'll see if I can get the ball rolling for you here.....

Best Modern Reel for Atlantic salmon fishing with a 15' rod and shooting heads?

-Loop Evotec HD 11fourteen (www.looptackle.se)

Per Stadigh, a noted salmon river dweller from Sweden, recommends the sealed braking system on this reel. It's large arbor design will help to reduce coils in the line and increase line pick-up; might as well go with the extra backing capacity of the 11fourteen in case you tie into a big one.

Best Classic Reel for Atlantic salmon fishing with a 15' rod and shooting heads?

-Bogdan #300 or (if you can get it) Bogdan #400

The Bogdan is hand-built with the metal-to-metal fit of an H & H, Purdy, or Boss shotgun. The 2-1 multiplier feature on the reel brings 'em in real quick. The drag is extremely powerful: guides in Quebec refer to it as "the salmon winch." The reel is also battle-tested: I know of 3 fish weighing in at over 50 pounds that were landed on a Bogdan last year at Alta.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Topher -

Nice job of classifying the modern verses classic, which was one reason I could not easily respond.

I am in complete agreement with the HD from LOOP (a sponsor), as proud owner of the 11fourteen myself. I plan to put the 9thirteen on the saltwater two-handers as well based on the performance of the big reel, time will tell whether the rigors of salt and sand affect it but I have complete faith.

About the classic salmon reels... I could only but drool over the reels at the Cascapedia Museum. Someday...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Everybody!

Yes that is one reason I did ask (modern vs. classic ) Bogdan reels are very well known here as well and the drag system is one of the best.

Loop makes good reels as well, but I would rather use Abel Super Series or Tibor LA reels for salmon fishing.

I did use Loop LW reels for while - didn´t work for me, the drag wasn´t strong enough and adjusting the drag wasn´t nice. If you wanted to give some line for fish putting less drag -you had to be very carefull whit big fish - drag gave line too mutch easily or then if You wanted to really stop big salmon I had problems whit it. As I said it wasn´t reel for me. Then I did change for HD 9 thirteen and that was good but still could not trust the brake to bee that smooth and strong. And problem whit Loop reels was that´they can´t handel any hits.

But this is just my opinion.

I have to say that Bogdan has the strongest drag I have used.

Im still looking for that ultimate reel for my rod...modern.

There is lots of little details that I wat my reels to have starting from smooth drag whit long range of adjusting. Large arbour (cause I use shooting heads 90%)....

What you guys think of Charlton signature series? That should have a great drag system?

Thanks alot!

Toni.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello Peter,

I have not yet seen the article in the Atlantic Salmon Journal, but "Grace," as the Brits say, was "a bit of alright!"

Man, could she sling line......

Finnfly,

I once guided a gentleman from New York City who fished a Charlton reel on a 15' Thomas & Thomas #10 weight rod; the reel performed flawlessly on several hot salmon and was impeccably machined.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Charlton 8550 configurable, and I think it is outstanding. I am familiar with most reels, and this one is simply the best. Anyone who has even seen one would probably agree. I have mostly used it for tarpon, but the spey spool would have plenty of capacity. The drag is incedible. It is strong and more importantly, accurate and easily adjustible. No reel is as repeatable. Maybe only a Bogden is as well made (old world vs. new).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Peter!

That is one reel that Im more than interested. The capacity isn´t problem cause Im not using long spey or any other longbelly lines whit that reel. I have one reel where I can easily but 300yds 30# backing plus longbelly line.

As I said I use allmoust everytime shooting heads, Riptide is one reel that Im looking...

How does the drag system work when it gets wet. Lets say You put You reel in to the water and pull it up , after that you pull the line as fast as You can - is it still smooth? Or does it give line uncontrolled? I had that problem whit Bauer M5 and M7 reels - I dont have those anymore :D

The problem is that between cork disk and that "teflon" side gets water and that darg is gone for while. You have to pull little bit of line out - and then it works well again. I dont want that.

Hope You guys understand my poor english spelling ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Perhaps not so classic

I've never found a reason to go further than my Ross reels. I started with the now obsolete Saltwater V. My only modification was to remove the pin limiting the drag range. I've found the Canyon Big Game reels to be amazing, but haven't experienced any of the gems mentioned above. I've never heard complaints about either the Loop or the Ross Canyon Big Game.

I'm assuming this thread means to ask AT ANY PRICE. Since I don't live in that world, it would be interesting to hear what folks think is the best balance of price and quality without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi:

As you know reel are a matter of prefrence and affordability, for most of us. There are several very good reels on the market including the Loop Evotech HD and the Ross Big Game reels which I believe someone has already mentioned.

My personal prefrences are the Islander reels, particularly the 4.5 and the much anticipated 4.8 LX series. The 4.8 is not yet available, there were some delays in production apparently because of the oversize cork drag they're develloping. It should be available this spring.

The other reel I like is the Bauer, I have the M5 and M7, again, these are cork disk drags. I have had some minor problems with them, this is because of the foam pads that sit under the drag. I don't know exactly how it works but there are two rollers that sit next to the pads which can cause some problems. Bauer is very good with service though, they even sent me a loner while my reel was being serviced. Sounds like you had the same problem.

The only bad part is getting it back through our border, Canadian Customs Agents are so over-zelous or lazy that they tax me on the declared value of anything coming through, a real pain even though I get my money refunded six months latter.

Reels are a real prefrence thing, the most popular reels in the world must be the Hardy's, in my opinion they are not the best though. They are however a beautifully crafted piece of equipement. Some of my buddies use the Perfects, too heavy and not enough drag strength in my opinion. If I could afford a Billy Pate, I would own one.

Each to his own!

Mike

·
Registered
711 Posts
Anyone had experience with the new Bauer McKenzie Z? (I think I've got the name right.) They look like nice reels.

·
Mossback Hillbilly
27 Posts
Hello there. I would think for the money the Big Game Series would be about the best. I am very please with both of mine, never having any problems to speak of. The Tibor Riptide is one reel I would like to own. Side by Side against an Abel Super 11, I felt the Tibor was a better reel. My experience with service on reels is limited, but Ross seems to be good, and Abel has been both good and bad at times , so I'm told. The Billy Pate is, of course, very nice, but for me, a bit too heavy. But I still wouldn't let mine go !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello!

On that Your last question I would have to say Orvis Mach LA IV or V.
I had chance to try that whit our Orvis rep in fwe weeks back in Langinkoski, Finland. We didn´t catch any seatrouth but boy that reel felt good. I did ored two for my self (sizes 4 and 5 ) both reels titanium color. The darg system is awesome and the reels are light but still storg. I has never been big fan of orvis, but now they have done reel that I like! The price is half of Abel/ Tibor/Loop HD...

The reel will come in spring 2004.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Islanders are one of my favs. Good reliable drags. They are cork but I have never had problems with them even when wet. ULA (Waterworks) I do not like. I have seen more than just one of these reels come apart under stress. One lost a screw that held part of the drag in place and another was torn off of its foot. I like Billy Pate, Abel and Tibor reels, they are all solid. I have also had Bauer reels and have had problems with the drag not working correctly.

Charlie

·
Registered
128 Posts
Finnfly,

The handle on that Orvis MACH looks a bit odd to me. Looks like metal but can it be? It would be cold, especially on Langinkoski at this time of year :). But there seems to be a screw so changing it won't be problem anyway.
Besides from that, the reel looks absolutely great.

If anyone wants to see a picture of it you can go see it here:
www.orvisfinland.net/Ajankohtaista/ajankohtaista.html

Unfortunately the page is in finnish so many of you can't read it. And there is no saying how long the page will stay there as it is since it is a said to change every week.

I have the Evotec LW 8twelve and very happy with it. In my opinioin, the drag is enough for a salmon. I like the lightness of the reel since I cast underhand with shootingheads and haven't had a need to balance the rod (it's on a 15' GLX). Should I not have the evo, I'd propably go for that MACH or the evo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello!

Yes indeed it looks weird!
The reel we were using didn´t have that kind of handel. The one thing I really did like, was that handel, cause it was same as LA Battenkill reels has (rubber). Very warm in cold weather conditions. Like we are use to fish in Langinkoski you know what I mean :) - I would never by reel that has that stupid handel :)

The handel on that reel in that site looks bad!
I can bet that they don´t come whit that handel...

·
Registered
3 Posts
List of Classic and not classic

Here is my list:

Classic:
Old Florida No.6 Classic (not made anymore)
Bogdan

New:
Old Florida No.7
Old Florida No.88
Lamson/Waterworks ULA Force 4.5
Nautilus 12

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had a loaner from the factory of the waterworks reel and I was really impressed with the drag. The real worked great other then the time when I was fighting a 35" steelhead and the reel came apart into several pieces. The line instantly turned into a nest the size of a large pizza. I had to hand line the fish in which led to a few burns and my 1/0 fly looked like it was tied on a cork screw. We have a nice series of photos of the event and we laughed the whole time thinking of the great pics we would have for waterworks marketing department.

I was thinking the reel was a true POS but put it back together and kept fishing. Because the reel came straight from the factory and it was set up for the proper hand retrieve I just spun backing and line on and went. So it turns out the reel is'nt a POS the pilot was. Had I secured the end cap to the drag properly this would never happen. Once the cap was secured the reel worked great on several hot fish and balnced the smallish/light rod I was using. I do pref. the more classic reels but for a space ager this reel was nice.

Speaking of balance, this is very important to me. A med-heavish 15' rod with a modern beer can style reel can be very tiresome to cast all day. Same with a very light rod with a heavy reel. It doesn't seem to me that folks pay enough attention to balance when they talk about the reel being a heavy one and yet they are putting it on a DBF Winston or some other rod with heft.

I have fished with the Tibor's and never had a problem.

I have a Billy Pate and the only problem with it is the narrowness of the drag setting. Same with the beautiful Charlton's. They seem to have about 3 settings...off-med-lockdown. Agian, never a problem.

The Bogdon's are super nice and balance the big rods well. If only I could afford one. Topher you lucky dog.

On rivers where the fish are not likely to go to nuts I still like to use Hardy reels. The perfects or JLH reels with proper management will handle most steelhead and salmon (except huge kings) that I have had the pleasure of playing with.

Just my 2 cents. It has been very interesting to hear all of the other opinions. There are a couple reels mentioned that I have not used yet and need to get a hold of.

Greg

·
Registered
427 Posts
Reels

The Classics

Nothing beats the sound of my 4 1/4 Perfect with a Thompson hearst stopper, I love my old Perfects 4 1/4 down to 3 1/2. I also use Salmon Marquis and a CFO VI.

Bodgan's, Saracione, Zwarg, Walker, and Vom Hofe enough said awesome!

The modern stuff i also have a couple of these and they are great. I really don't use them as they just don't give me wood.

andre

1 - 20 of 22 Posts