Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beining to plan an atlantic salmon trip and want to go somewhere special. I have read a little about Russia, Iceland and Norway. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best places to go? "Best" meaning least people, most fishing time in big water and beautiful country not necessairly "most fish". A couple of recommendations would be great like "Best Place For The Money" and a "Money No Object" kind of trip. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I cant give you advice on lots of different places as I have only visited a few ( due to being young and now skint ). I have fished approx 12 rivers in Scotland and last year I fished the Rynda on the Kola peninsula. The Rynda was so good I am going again this year. This river is very remote and not at all crowded as 12 anglers have the whole river to themselves. Every day you fish a different beat and the only other people you see whilst fishing are your fishing partner and guide. The river has lots of varied pools, some are easy to fish and others are quite technical and challenging. The rod average is between 10 and 15 fish for the week but there are some very big fish in the river. We were well looked after by everyone at the camp and the food is first class. You could fish the pools near the camp in the evening if you wished, so how much fishing you do is up to you. This wasn't a cheap trip for me but I think it is excellent value for money. A weeks fishing will cost you between $4000 and $10000 depending when you go. The company controls 4 rivers in total from 2 camps but as I have only fished the Rynda I cant comment on the other camp although I imagine it will be just as good. For more info look at kharlovka.com.
There is lots of good fishing to be had in Scotland and this varies wildly in price from $20 per day to well over $600 per day depending on time of year, number of rods and service provided. A prime beat on a prime week can be very hard to obtain (although not impossible) as most people keep hold of the same weeks as they get first refusal for the following year when bookings are being taken. Willie Gunn is your man to speak to for fishing in northern Scotland.
I hope my limited advice has helped you and that you have a great time where ever you decide to go.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes Russia or Iceland!

Contact Lax-a Angling Club, Loop, Frontiers or Kharlovka Company!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ireland

My vote would go to Ireland. You can do $1000 a day vacations or do a little homework, and make calls from the research provided from several locations. My last trip there, we got onto the Galway Salmon Wier, the River Maine (sea trout), the River Boyne and the Blackwater. The most I paid for a beat was 20 euro a day on top of the federal license. Tough to beat for the opportunity. I at least stung a fish (albiet mostly grilse) on every river. All said, I do think it is the most affordable do-it-yourself Atlantic Salmon fishing around.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can only speak to one place I have been ... the last two years I went to Gaspe', Quebec.

I fished the York, Grand, Dartmouth and St. John (St. Jean) ... all are drop dead beautiful ... they are run / controled / protected by the ZAC ... and are wild and prestine. You will have the pool to yourself for the day and the you will most likely not see another fisherman all day.

There are lots of fish ... best fish I caught was a 25 pounder last year and an 18 pounder this year ... they are by no means the largest fish in the pools. I saw fish in the 35-40 pound class.

Get a guide ... I fished with Bill Greiner at Malbaie River Outfiters ... great lodge ... great guides ... and great food thanks to a lady named Noirine.

There was a write up in a couple magazines lately ... "Fly Fisherman" and "Wild On the Fly"

Send me a note if you would like more information about my trips. I would be happy to share.

Stephen

·
Registered
34 Posts
Although Ireland has some good fishing and it can be done cheaply I would not recommend this as a place to go fishing because of the polices the Irish government has on mixed stock drift netting. They ignored all the scientific evidence regarding catch quotas just to gain a few extra votes from the netsmen at the expense of fish returning to England, Wales, France, Germany, Spain and Portugal of which the drift nets take many. Everyone that I know that has fished the west coast if Ireland this year has complained about the size of the fish and that most fish were net marked, some of the fish were as small as 2lbs and very few were above 4 lbs. I personally will not fish in Ireland until the nets have been removed. Anglers should vote with their feet and take their money elsewhere. A rod caught salmon is worth 20 times that of a net caught salmon to the local economy. It will not take long for the government to see their mistake if people go elsewhere and spend money.
Sorry for the bit of a rant but I feel strongly about these drift nets that affect my local rivers and cancel out some of the hard work that goes into to trying to restore the stocks to their former glory. For more info search for the stop now campaign.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts