Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Redington Redfly 14' 9/10 rod. It wasn't the rod I was planning on getting for my first spey rod, but I couldn't pass up the deal I was offered. It actually sounds like it may be a better rod for learning to spey cast than the 13' 6/7 I was planning on getting.

My question is what type of line seems to work best with this rod. I am a beginner and most of my spey fishing will be on the Deschutes.

Thanks,
Roger

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Falconer...

While there is always an ongoing great debate about which head length is best to learn with, I would choose lines in the 53' to 56' head length range as being the easiest to learn with. For your rod Simon (Rio) recommends a 10/11/12 WindCutter for the newer caster. I have found his line picks to be very good. If $$ are an issue I would buy a straight floater. After you learn to cast should you desire to fish tips it is a very simple task to chop the line and install loops.
Take care, MJC
PS, If you are around the Portland area Mark Bachmann of the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches, OR is a very experienced spey caster and would be a source of good info on lining your rod. He is a sponsor here so if you click the sponsor link at the top left you will find his contact info.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I tried the Carron Jetstream 9/10, a little $$$, with this rod and it was an awesome matchup. Definitely try diferent lines out there and see what fits your stroke. Good luck.

LoopHiTech

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
Starter line vs the future

I fished my 14 foot Redfly through last winter. MJC's (and Simon's) recommendation of the 10/11/12 WindCutter is a good one. Don't get frustrated if you have to choke up on it a bit when you start with some of the head in the guides. The whole line can be a bit heavy on the rod.

Once you get used to it you may want to go to a lighter line like the 9/10/11 Windcutter. The rod really shines with short heads of about 615 grains.

The Jetstream 9/10 would be really sweet now and later, but may cost more than you paid for the rod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts