Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if Skagit isn't appropritate for a BEGINER (though it may very well be) what would you recommend as far as a rod (length, weight action) and Line system that would be the most versital, easy to learn, and effective for a novice great lakes spey fisherman fishing the swing. Let's say Mr. (or Miss) newbie has a wife and family, can't drop mad cash on 15 rigs and needs one to get the job done most of the time on the many rivers he (or she, gotta be PC!) fishes the 10 days a year on the river.

My short answer would be a 13' foot 7-8 wt with either a Windcutter size belly or a skagit head. I don't think casting one is harder to learn to cast than the other, and both offer a great deal of versitility. Any other opinions? :chuckle:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Doc...

I would say your 13' rod and the WC Versi Tip is probably hands down the very best combo for your hypothetical fisher person and for a lot more places then just the Great Lakes regions.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
SpayDoc said:
I am not too proud to include myself in the beginner's group!!
we all have to start somewhere dude. no better place than on a river where a couple of spey dudes can spread the knowledge.

i would think a 13'er and a windcutter or similar line would suit you well just like MJC mentioned. if you have some shop out there that can let you play around with different rods and lines, that would be the key to find what suits you without spending tons of money on rods until you find the one you like.

vinnie

·
Registered
947 Posts
Julian,

I am sure you are a very nice fellow. I must say, however, in your last few posts regarding Peter-S-C's comments regarding Skagit lines/style, you are coming off as something of a churl. I for one suggest that, if you have a gripe with Peter-S-C, deal with him off the public board. Better yet, challenge him to a duel.

Charles

·
Registered
869 Posts
good Dr. the line system depends on the average length of the fishing you are doing. the short belly lines will load the rod with less ft of line out of the rod tip. if you are fishing short casts then you want a short head line. if you are casting 50'+ all day then a windcutter is the choice. anything longer and i would recommend a longer belly line. simply put you need the grains of the line out of the tip to cast. if you are only casting 35 ft and your line belly is 55 it is hard to load up. skagit line has the shortest head then sa short head then rio wc and then midspey.

for rods anything in the 12-13 ft range should do the trick. if you are fishing smaller water stay close to 12 and go up if you are doing larger rivers. 7-8 wt is plenty. the rest depends on your budget and casting style for which rod feels the best to you. try as many as you can get your hands on.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Peter,

Turbo enjoyed the attention. Glad you used the Splenda. See you on the river or in Muskegon. Peace!!

Couldn't agree more about the Loomis rods--loved the 16 footer with the Carron line--if I can sell the Skagit Spec, I will replace it with the Loomis. May have to drop the price!!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Good to hear the snowbees are available out there for you GL guys to cast. IMHO they are under appreciated for how good of lines they really are. At the clave coming up check out the 9/10 3D (73' head) on the 15' 7/8 grease liner. That combo really goes and is what I will be using this year for summer fishing on larger rivers.

Also for people wondering why a 9/10 line on a 7/8 stick...The grease liners are pretty true to the top line designation unless you are using XLTs. The 7/8 is really an 8 wt being that is was designed around the 7/8 XLT which is pretty heavy. The snowbee lines on the other hand are over rated for spey casting since they adhere to the single hand AFTMA standards. Really the snowbee 9/10 is an 8/9 line.

Anyway a long winded way to say try that combo if you have not already. It rocks :smokin:

Also another under appreciated line for windcutter lengths is the SA short head. Very good tip line, I like it more than the delta or windcutter.

-sean

·
Registered
131 Posts
Best Line System For The GL's

Hi Sean
In testing the SnowBee lines on the G.Loomis, Grease line series, we found them to be, more or less, exactly the way you described. Example: the 8/9-rod balanced very nicely with a 9/10 line. There were a few exceptions, Neil should have all this information formulated and posted on the G.Loomis web site shortly. We enjoyed casting these lines; they performed very well on this series of rods. The taper coupled with a thin running line will allow good loop control and extra distance. We all agree they would be a brilliant choice.
We look forward to testing their new Shooting Head System, on the Roaring River Stinger Series and getting the information posted.
We are also testing the Carron lines on the Roaring River Grease Line Series for the Loomis web site. We should have this imformation up shortly. So far the general consensus is the 16ft 9/10 GLX Grease liner with the 10/11 Carron is down right frightening.
Thanks
Rick whorwood
G.Loomis pro-staff

·
Registered
131 Posts
Best Line System For The GL's

Boy's Boy's Boy's
Why limit yourself, be like golfers, you don't see them whining about how many clubs they need. They buy them by the bag full ! Thinking about it, maybe that's why I bought a drift boat, it's sort of my floating golf cart. If you want to fish more then just one beat on one river, your going to need more then one style of rod and line. Isn't that the fun behind all this.
If you live within a day's drive of Southern Ontario your more than welcome to come and play with our Loomis toy's, but be warned we will abuse you.
That's how we have our fun !
Mr. T.I.Cheek

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Sean.
To add to Ricks post.
We also have a set of Partridge lines on their way to be tested.I have heard good things about those lines also so looking forward to giving them a cast or two.
We should also be getting a set of Wulff lines.Not heard a lot about these lines but we will put them through the testing routine as well.
Back to the Snowbee's.I was really impressed with them.Very smooth to cast.
When Rick and I cast them we found,very similar to the Hardy's,we had to go up a line size to acheive a medium load.Must be an English greased line thing.
Sean,I hope we can hook up some time and you can play with our line bag :devil:
Are you going to make it to the Muskegan Clave?.
It's a wonderfull clave and all the guys there are great.
Speyladdie :smokin:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I wish I could make it over to you guy's clave. In about a year and a half though I will be moving back to the east coast so one of these days I will be a great lakes guy as well. Really interested in checking out some of your rivers like the grand and the catt.

Are you and Rick going to be coming out the San Fran? If so I hope you guys have those Snowbee shooting heads in tow. This is the first I have heard of them and what is better than more new lines to test out! Very interested in the partridge ines as well. I have a 9/10 65' one but have not got it dialed into a rod yet...

-sean

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
o_clarki_clarki said:
hehehe.... unfortunately I had to look up purgative as well. you have quite the vocabulary and it impresses me. :smokin:

Vinnie,

You crack me up man. I always enjoy your lighthearted input on these indepth converstations. For the most part I am usually right on par with you.

Tightlines

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.