Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
fliflicker
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love fishing my local water for salmon and steelhead but the stream is only about 30' across at it's widest point and often quite shallow. The fish can also be quite spooky. Last winter I mostly used my 11' 7wt switch and over lined it with a standard wf 9wt line with success but still not feeling like its quite right. A short skagit is way to bulky and long. Any suggestions for a better short tight line set-up that will roll well and turn over nicely for 20-30' max casts with med weight flys?
Maybe a DT ?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Switch line

Try a rio switch chucker or a opst head. You could also get a custom line done by Steve godshall. It sounds like you maybe be better off with a single hander at times. The single skagit world is just getting better and better. You never know until you try all your options.

Andrew

·
Registered
407 Posts
Couple suggestions:
Wulf Ambush line or
OPST super short head and then use either 10' poly leader, or light mow tips
Just tried out the OPST system on a small local river streamer fishing with a 10' 6 wt. rod and it worked slick.
Mike

·
Registered
872 Posts
Check out the OPST videos on you tube. They have a commando head, they're real short. They fish smaller streams. They also do a lot with SH sustained anchor type casting. Maybe that type of setup would do the trick.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Short line

Sounds like a single hander with one of the new generation short heads would be tailor made for your situation.--OPST lines are just one of the many options out there.--We all love to cast & swing with our 2 handers, but there is a time for shorter rods and lines.--Again, check out the OPST YouTube videos to see if they might be a good option for you.

Bill

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Depending of your "med weight fly" using just a 30ft leader and cast like a lure could make casting easy and cause the least line landing disturbance? Sort of a Czech Nymphing system!

Esa

·
Dom
3,108 Posts
Underline them by the ton. 6wt Ambush on 6wt SH rod creates quite the load and I would not hesitete to use same line on 8wt SH rod. If mono leader is your norm then traditional line or underlined tapered short head (Ambush, Commando, ect) is what you should be using IMO. Or scandi...

·
Registered
315 Posts
RIO switch line will cast both a short and medium long line with a fairly large (or wind resistant skate/wake) fly. It roll casts well, makes single hand overhead and spey casts - and when necessary, performs acceptably two handed. Pretty versatile, which I like. When fishing short, my preference is either overhead or touch and go spey casts. Sustained anchor disturbs the water too much, IMO.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Guideline

A DT is a good idea. You will probably need a 9 or 10 weight since you will only have some 20 ft outside the rod tip. DTs can also be used for making SHs.

Guideline issued a short SH this year specifically for your purpose. The line is designed for fishing salmon and sea trout on small rivers and streams with singlehanded or switch rods.
The head is called Power Taper Ultra Compact. It ranges from #5/6 at 216 grains and 21.5 ft to #9/10 at 339 grains and 24 ft. I haven't tried them, but the taper should turn long leaders and large flies if needed. You may Google guideline.no. I don't think I'm allowed to leave a link. They have an English version of their website.

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Shooting head systems work great when there's room to work with the entire head out of the guides, but if the loop connection is in the guides then accuracy and smooth delivery can be compromised. Full lines are my preferred choice for short range work.

I also don't want something that will smack into the water hard as in short range fishing, the fish are easily spooked. I ended up with a bit of an oddball solution but it worked: an Airflo 40+ Sniper line (very blunt tapered overhead line) plus 15' factory tapered tips. It doesn't sound like it should work, but it does as the 15' tips effectively extend the short front taper of the Sniper line into something approaching a Spey line.

Here's the results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIu9F8DCG68

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think more information is necessary?

From what I read on your original post:
~You are using an 11' switch
~You are wanting to make a 20'-30' cast max

As I am thinking that through, I would need to know more prior to recommending you go and spend $55-$110 bucks.

Assuming you are standing in the water...even if it is just at the waters edge, from your feet you have an 11' rod so a 9' leader would get you to 20' w/ the tip section of your line at the tip top of the rod.

For the 30' cast, you would have 10' of line out + leader max. I don't think there is a line out there that has the correct amount of grains to load a rod with 10' of line out of the tip top. Most/All shooting heads now a days have the weight block closest to the rear loop or integrated running line change.

If you are looking for 20'-30' of line out of the rod tip + leader, then we are talking different ballgame. If the first scenario were correct I would probably dust off a SH rod or look at a proper flexing single hand rod and lines from Joan Wulff Signature Series, Wulff Triangle, Wulff Ambush, S.A. Andro, Rio Switch Chucker.

Just a thought!

BB~

1 - 20 of 22 Posts