Spey Pages banner

Best line for sage 7141

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  johndayspey 
#1 ·
Any ideas what line pairs best with the sage 7141? I am currently running the rio windcutter 7/8/9.It seems it should be easier to load.
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I think the WC 8/9/10 might be a bit better. I liked the MidSpey 8/9 on the 7141 I had but the MidSpey 7/8 seemed to work almost as well. Find a friend with a WC 8/9/10 and see if that it makes it go more to your liking.

#3 ·
The Sage 7141 is the Barry Bonds on Steriods 7 wt.

dark&deep said:
Any ideas what line pairs best with the sage 7141? I am currently running the rio windcutter 7/8/9.It seems it should be easier to load.
Thanks
Before you spend a lot of extra money try to find a WC compensator for your WC and replace tip #2 with the upgrade.

With regular Spey casting, my 7141 works better with the longer lines or with the Upgrade. It does very well with the old Grand Spey 7/8 re casting. It may work too well with the long lines, as I found myself casting over the fish for the thrill of the casts. It does very well with the Carron 9/10 65' head and a 15' leader.

Recently, I tried my 7141 with my Rio Skagit 650 plus the floating tip 2* from a Rio line, a floating 15' Rio Tip and a 15' Steelhead leader and a couple of feet of tippet with some big flies and small flies. This combo worked great and will be the basic line/combo for my 7141. This line combo is a Reel hog and takes up most of my Loop 4W with 300 yards of backing. The combo balances well. I was able to do all 3 types of Skagit casts with this combo and shoot a fair amount of the green running line. The Skagit 550 which is recommended for this rod didn't load it, deep enough for my poor Skagit casts.

The Skagit 650 with the floating tip 2 or tip compensator will be my line combo for this rod.

*Most experts recommend a cheater with a Skagit line and the 7141. I decided to try the tip compensator last year with sinking tips and the Skagit, and that combo worked. The floating tip 2 worked with the floating tip. So I save money by trying these line parts which I own.

#5 ·
I'm just a "tinkering" old Grampa!

GPearson said:
Grandpa Dave,

Every time i think i have tried every possible combination of lines you come up with a new one. My kind of guy... always tinker'n.

Keep up the good work.

Greg
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not really into dicing and splicing the lines, but I have a lot fun "tinkering" with the various parts of lines that I own or can borrow from my son. Some of my old one handed Air Flow tips find themselves on Rio lines or parts and pieces. Sometimes, the tinkering is a failure or has no benefits. Other times the results can be positive.

Tip 2's from the Rio lines, their tip compensators and their upgrades with the loops on both ends offer all types of possibilities. I will be carrying all of the above in a separate leader/tip wallet to make life a little more organized and to have all of the options available in one wallet.

#6 ·
I really really like the 7141. I've used a WC 789 on it once and it would really load and shoot that line well.

I'll be using a TT89 (TT8 or TT9 now?) to throw some big wads of deer hair with this rod soon. For colder water later this fall, I'll use the GS78 with sinking tips.

What line works best depends on how/where you want to fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.