Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ii know this has already been asked, but thought I'd ask again.

Here's my needs. This will be strictly a summerrun rod. No sinktips will be needed. All the flies I'll be throwing caan be used on the floater. Iit would be nice to haave a DT, but I've never used a DT speyline. I've used the DT's for my summer fishing with a one hander. Most of the flies I'll be tosing will be dries or subsurface, with maybe the occasional ssunken fly. I currently haave a reel spooled with a WC 8/9/10 buut heard it may be a bit much for the rod. Since I'm only using this for summer fishing, can I get by with a DT7F spey? Or would it be more advisable to get a 7/8/9 WC? So what's the consensus on this 3 piecer?

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
Never heard of a 3 piece in this rod. I have the new model (green 4 piece) and use a DT9F on it. My favorite by far is TT 8/9 for floating work. I like my rods to have a good bend - it also casts with a DT8F.

As you suggested, this topic has been hit hard before. If you search under "7136" you will get a mind numbing amount of info in both current posts and in ISC archives that describes lines for several different models of this rod.

·
Cast, step, swing...
128 Posts
I've used a Midspey (7/8) last summer, on the upper Dean, which really doesn't require big casts, then on the Thompson, which many argue does...
My rod is the older brown model, and the set-up worked like a dream...I had been flogging (in the lower river) a 10151-4 and a midspey 10/11, so changing up my power to the light stick took a couple of stiff belts of the 16 men of Tain...but soon I was dialed in and fished every lie the river had to offer...short 20 ft casts or longer 90ft plus casts without much thought...I had previously used a WWF 6/7/8 line and far prefer the Midspey. I have used a DT8F but didn't care for it...I've also used the TT7/8 which was fine with some line out but was unusable for short cast...

Uliwon

·
JD
3,609 Posts
line for 7136

I have this (green) rod and have cast Rio WC 6/7/8 & 7/8/9. Both work. Just depends on whether you like the heavy or light load. Have also tried an Orvis DT 7 Spey which did not seem to load the rod to my liking. If you want to try a DT, I would suggest trying a Cortland 444SL DT8/9 Spey line. Don't know what the grain weight is here but it shouild be O.K. Maybe a little on the heavy side.

To give you an example, I am presently using the DT 10/11 on my 9150 and 8150. These lines are 120 feet long with a 37 foot taper at each end. The 10/11 starts to feel a little heavy with something like 80 to 90 feet of line off the reel so I am considering trying the DT9/10 for the 9150/8150.

The DT 8/9F is the lightest DT line Cortland makes in this series. They also make a WF configuration in this series. (be sure to specify 444SL Spey or you will get a reg line with a 6 foot taper on each end) The WF lines also have the 37 foot front taper, 20 foot belly and 2 foot rear taper so they are somewhere in between a Windcutter and a MidSpey.

·
Registered
889 Posts
ST69,

I would caution against the Cortland DT spey 8/9, it is too heavy for the 7136. If you are fishing the old brown 7136 this line would be way too heavy. I have recently become a HUGE fan of the 8/9 on the old 9140, slickest casting DT on the market.

For a traditional DT, I would think that a trout length DT#8 would do fine for either rod, but a #7 may work better with the older version. Would recommend casting both lines to make that decision.

For the "olde browne" 7136, would recommend the Windcutter 6/7/8 or midspey 6/7. If your rod is the new green version, I prefer the 6/7/8 but the 7/8/9 is easily cast as well.

William

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Have both the 'old and new' 7136-4's

and they each like a different line. The 'brown' is grand with either a DT 7 or 8 wt depending upon the size of the fly to be flung. Either rod will perform wonderfully with the RIO 6-7-8 WC. Grand rod's to out to 70'ish feet with a dry line. The 'brown' is not a tip rod but the green will handle the Airflow sinking leader's with gusto.
fe

PS: Added after the initial post.

Another line that works rather well with this rod (timing is different than with the RIO'S or a standard DT) is the TT 8.
fe

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok

I just want to cllarify thaat it iss a newere green blank, and when I said it was a 3 piece, I was assuming that since I haven't pikced it up yet. Iit may be 4, I haven't sen the rod so am not sure.

Well, I'l only be throwing this for spring/summer fishing. Mostly size 10-4's maybe max. Mostly dries and subsurface flies. Won't be fishing any heads with this rod, so no need to worry about snktips.

Thanks for all the feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts