Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just bought a Grand Spey 10/11 for my Loop Blue 1510 after looking at the Rio line recommendations. I have been using a Windcutter 10/11/12 and a Midspey 10/11 so this is my first foray into long belly territory.

Anyway I went down to the pond for a few throws this evening. I cant believe how heavy this line feels. Its ok up to about 70' outside the rod tip, then I can just feel the rod starting to bog down. Any more than 80' of line out and it goes like a stick of spaghetti.

I guess I bought the wrong line. Anyone else got this rod and knows whether I should be going for a 9/10 or even an 8/9?

All info gratefully received.

Sam

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't know anything about your rod, so I can't offer any specific advice.

However, could it be possible that you have one of the original lines from a couple years ago? Check and see if thay specify how many grains your line weighs. I bought a 9/10 which is equivalent to what they're now labeling as an 11/12. My old Sage 10150 was completely overloaded with that line.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did a search and think Dana answered this in a previous thread. I think I must have got one of the old lines. He recommends an 8/9 for this rod. No wonder the 10/11 line feels like the hawser off a tugboat!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like the long belly Spey lines, windcutters and midspeys are way too short for me on a wide river and 15ft rod. I use the old 10/11 Accellerator which is 80 ft and is perfect for me on my 15.1 Sage.

This line is weary though and I have been looking to replace it for some time. I've been warned off the G Spey as it was way too heavy and to wait for the new 2005 version. (Anyone out there tested it on a 15.1 yet?) Another alternative that I'm considering is the new Partridge Ian Gordon Spey line which has had fantastic reviews.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Woburn...

The difference in the old GrandSpey and the new GrandSpey "lite" very well may be your problem. The head of the old line weighed 1500grns while the head of the GrandSpey "lite" weighs 1100grns. If you still have the box look on the label, as the new versions have the grain weights printed there. You can find the all the new GrandSpey line specs here:
http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/flylines_prodpage.asp?product=21289&useMet=0#chart

·
Registered
58 Posts
Question

Woburn,
Have you considered lengthening your casting stroke. A rounded "D" loop
may be OK for a Wind Cutter or short belly line but won't be sufficient to
carry the longer heads. I'm just guessing, mind you, but the fault may not rest with the rod but in the length of casting stroke. At least, it's worth a try.
Good luck, Stan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts