Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ten years ago I found myself looking into the eyes of a tiny little black lab mutt, a non papered runt of the litter with a poor chance of any future. No one wanted him and they were going to "get rid of it".

Well, I took that little guy home. The first dog I ever had that was "MY DOG". My 3 girls loved him and named him Buzz and he spent many hours walking with me along the creek near our place and often would just sit and watch me fish. He just loved being included, and no doubt considered himself human, since that is how he was treated. My wife and I even took him on a week long tent camping retreat, just the 3 of us. He was one cool dude!

Over the last year or so he began really looking and acting old, and the vet confirmed that. For a lab, he was just getting old. Had more white whiskers than me. The last couple weeks it's been real cold out at night and he took to sitting in the easy chair by the fire at night, something he rarely did as he loved being an outside dog. Cows, horses and rabbits were his playmates.

Today about noon, upon returning home from an early business function, I found him dead, laying in his favorite spot overlooking the back pasture. Seems he just layed down there and cashed in his chips. I took him to a nearby cattle ranch to a high hill overlooking a big long valley and put him to rest in a spot with a great view for eternity, and although it was sad, all I could think of was how glad I was that he was my dog.

I don't tell this to get all mushy or anything like that, but only in hopes that you too will take your great ol' dog out and enjoy him. The good ones just don't seem to live nearly long enough.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Moose,
My wife and I have three labs, they too find the horses and chickens to be there friends. I can appreciate your loss. :(

Condolences
Gillie

·
Registered
147 Posts
my condolences to you, Moose

Hi, Moose. My wife, Carol and Me just had to have our little boy, a siamese named "Buddy" put to sleep after 14 years. He was indeed a human in his mind. I lost a good pal; thus, I can share your sorrow. I am amazed at how we humans can "bond" to our furry friends so tightly. I am sad for your loss. Best regards, Stiver

·
Registered
344 Posts
Excellent sentiment, Moose, and I'm close to being right there with ya. Both of our dogs are getting old, and the younger of the 2 was tentatively diagnosed with cancer. As I watch him, I see the many years of companionship and joy coming to an end within the year.

My condolences to you, and my congratulations to Buzz on a life well lived.

--Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Winston

Moose, I am sorry for your loss--our dog, Winston, was killed in October at just 4 years of age. He attended 2 spey claves, one in Newaygo and one on the Grand, and many casting sessions on the river--he was never happier than when he was with the guys and their dogs on the Grand!! His picture was even on this site at one time.. My wife and I miss him terribly even though we have a new pup who is wonderful!! I am surprised at how emotional we still get when we talk about him!!

Yes, the pets die way too soon!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
my sincerest condolances. i was a useless wreck for a month when my former best buddy was gone. take a walk in your favorite places and he will be right there with you, always.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks to all.

Thanks to everyone both on and off line for the condolences, and for sharing your thoughts about your own furry friends. They are gifts to the soul and shine in our memories like gems. Funny how when we work to make their lives happy that happiness is returned tenfold.

A line from Pat McManus' remembrance of his dog, long since passed away [paraphrased]:

"Tippy went to the window to look out for the last time and said 'A dog like me should live forever', and he was right".

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
Hi Moose,

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I am dreading the day my chocolate lab dies. He turned 14 in August. 2 summers ago there were 2 tough weeks for him. He miraculously got cured on the bland diet. Thank goodness for the will of his stomach. He still performs his daily job of retrieving the newspaper. I am hopeful that one morning I find him in his bed at peace. I do not want the vet to visit. But if the call goes out, I find comfort in the following note a friend gave me.

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me things you would have me learn.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.
Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the priviledge of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.
Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
And, my friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Take Care,

Gary

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Moose,

I know exactly how you feel. The first dog that was mine was a Golden Retreiver named Beu. He developed epilepsy at age 7. He drowned at age 9 while swimming in Montana's Missouri River when a grande mal seisure took over his body functions. It was a sad day for us.

He was replaced a month later with another golden we named Red Dog because he the dark copper color some golden's have. My now 17 year old son grew up with Red Dog because my son was born a year after we got Red Dog. We have found memories of our son holding on the Red Dog's fur and walking around the house with the dog enjoying it as much as our son. Red Dog also did the same with our youngest, who is now 13. We had to give him up when we moved and had to rent. It was a heartbreaker to give Red Dog to another family, he was 8 at the time. We vowed to never do this again because it was like giving up one of the family.

Four years ago we bought another house and acquired Kobe another golden male. Like the others, he is primarily my dog. However, he really is a member of the family and he belongs to us as much as we belong to him. Those of us who are fortunate enough to have a retriever (or other dog) adopt us are indeed enriched by the experience. There is nothing quite like having a wagging tail and doggy smile welcoming you upon returning home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts