Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am soliciting suggestion for the best floating fly line for my CND 1308. Yuro please feel free to respond. I would like one that would fish and mend well out to about 90 ft. Most of the fishing I do is on the Deschutes. Some wind of course. 90% of my fishing is with a floating line.

I currently have the RIO Windcutter and cant mend it well with the head out. So I dont want a line with tips.

OH,, Did I mention;;; I really like this rod !!

Thanks Guys

Skilly

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
From the minute I started with CND rods I've loved that rod and am amazed at the value it provides. I really love the feel of that rod and the way the line just jumps off the blank.

The line I've used the most with that rod so far is the Rio Midspey 7/8. It's a spot-on match for the way I cast. With a 13' leader and 15-20ft of running line in the hands to shoot, you're well in the 90ft range without a lot of stripping between casts. Flatten out the d-loop and bend the rod low near the handle when pushing the forward cast and it will really fly.

If you look at what the manufacturers publish for grains/length for lines, the Airflo delta 8/9 is in the same bracket so I am sure it will cast well if the ratings are correct. The Wulff 70' spey 9wt is 36.6 grams or 565 grains, also in the right range. In other words, mid-length spey lines in the mid-500 grain range will load it correctly. You can see it's not prudent to follow line weight ratings for spey lines, but grains over length is usually quite reliable.

I have yet to try some of my recent line acquisitions on that particular rod but have also fished the Windcutter 7/8/9 extensively on it and found it even rockets the 15' type 8 tip with ease and I would highly recommend the setup for sinktip use during winter run pursuit.

But your question is about longer belly dry lines, and the above paragraph is what I would recommend.

IMHO that's one of the easiest spey casting rods out there and at the price, hard to beat for what you get. No skimping on the hardware, all fuji SiC strippers and tip guide, hard chrome snakes and the traditional handle, butt and seat.

Glad you enjoy the rod, and the best part is the way it feels with a nice fish tearing up the pool!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Floating Line for CND 1308

Howdy Skilly,

I think if you try a Long Delta 7/8 you will like it very well on your rod. I just sold one to one to another Oregon fisherman with a 1308SP and he says he just loves it. If you want to take one for a test drive let me know. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Juro
Thanks, Just the information I was looking for.
I like the Windcutter. Being a beginner at this Spey thing I started with it. I will keep it to fish the sink tips with. Today on the Deschutes I decided I needed something that mended better than the Windcutter 789. I finnaly am getting the timing down and found myself well into the running line.

I am extreamly happy with the Rod. It has made it easy for me to learn with.
Probably wont be many more days for the Deschutes this year. That S word is supposed to get here Sat.

Thanks Again.

Skilly

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MJC

Thanks, If we get some decent weather I might take you up on the test drive. Snow starting Saturday. If I`m lucky I might get another day or two on the river before it closes.

I really appreciate the offer !!

Skilly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Skilly.
I have this exact rod (CND1308) and went with Juro's recommendation on lining it with a Mid Spey 7/8 with tips. I have just changed the floating tip over to sinking tip and can say I am even more impressed by this rod. Sweet rod for the Deschutes! I am floating Macks to the Mouth next Thursday, hopefully the White River stays in shape, it blew out again earlier this week.

Juro, thanks for all the help this summer in getting the right rod, this one is a keeper and I am looking forward to some winter work with it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I am going to try the Rio Mid Spey in the full line. I am also going to try the long delta. I will run over to the fly fishing place in the next couple of weeks and see if Mark will let me try both of them. I have the Windcutter with tips that I can fish for winter.

I would say with the rain we are getting now in Prineville that the White River may blow out again. They were forcasting snow but its` been raining since daybreak.

All the fish I hooked in the warm springs area were dark, so I hope its in shape for you.

I plan on trying the stretch above Maupin next week. You might plan a trip from Warm Springs to Maupin. Jeff at the Fly Fishers Place in Sisters says it is fishing pretty well. The water temp has dropped into the low 50s high 40s so you might want to try your sink tips.

Skilly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts