Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets hear it!,,forget the guarantee thing,i'm not buying a guarantee,i'm buying waders=i need waders that can handle it everyday for the summer season,i'm looking for the best puncture proof breathables as far as hookpoints go :confused:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Hammer

The sad truth is that none of the breathables resist a hook point. That is whay we spey cast so the point does not come into contact with body parts, including waders. And yes, I have failed at that in the past.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
t_richerzhagen said:
The sad truth is that none of the breathables resist a hook point. That is whay we spey cast so the point does not come into contact with body parts, incluting waders.
That's why I only use yarn flies, no hook, no problem with getting hooks in my waders :razz:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Like they said.... nothing resists hooks. That being said I've ben through a bunch of brands and my vote would be Patagonia waders with Simms as a close second.

Patagonia just released a new line which I haven't seen. If you look around you can find clearance deals on their old model which are the ones I have.

Gillie

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
My wife bought me a pair of the Simms Guide Weight two years ago in November. So far they have been thicket proof, thorn proof and I haven't hooked myself yet. I am about 1/3 of the way in my third year with no leaks and no pampering them.

Bob Pauli bounced a few big rabbit flies off his backside with a pair of Simms when we tested the Skagit lines a few weeks ago. The big flies just hopped off Bob and his waders when they rabbit punched him.

My Simms are much better than the first ones Simms made.

My son has a pair of the Orvis Guide Weights, and he really goes through brush, thorns and is hard on waders. After one year, they still are like new. He likes not having to put on the gaiters. They have a lot of extra protection and pads on the fronts of the legs.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
That different Bob Pauli must have Kevlar in his Simms

Bob Pauli said:
Dave,
You must be speaking of a different Bob Pauli. :tsk_tsk:
That different Bob Pauli looked like he was doing a TV ad for Kevlar Waders. :roll: Poor guy, he couldn't get used to those short Sage Rods I use. ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
the new Patagonia's, they improved them with a heaverier layer from the belt down. they have built in gravel guards, the suspenders allow for using the bushes without removing the suspenders. they are also $90 cheaper than simms g3. no extra charge for xxl either.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
I've had four pairs of Simms Classic Guides in about 5 years. Each has lasted less time then the pair it replaced. I will not be purchasing another pair.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Hammer...

During my busy time most of my customers are in the shop in waders. By far there have been more pairs of Dan Bailey "Lightweights" then any other brand.
A lot of these people are guides taking a busman's holiday steelhead fishing.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
busman's holiday!

gee i prefer the `bartenders holiday' :lildevl: but i am weird!,,,did you get my e-mail ?,,,maybe you should post the pic. of a `probable' redshed#2 for the members here,,,very special place!,,down `whiskey creek canyon' in the `rogue wild and scenic' area,,did i mention the bartenders holiday i took there? :chuckle:

·
Registered
196 Posts
LL Bean Waders

I've had LL Beans Kevlar breathable wader for about 4 years now. No leaks, no problems whatsoever. They don't make the model I have anymore, but the newer model is called the Wicked Tough Wader and it is $299. Their customer service is top notch and if you are not satisfied with anything they will refund your money at any time, whether the product has been used or not. Good luck!

Brian

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
huh!,what!

no way you could get 4 years out of a set of breathables without something going wrong! ;) ,i want YOURS,just hose em' off and i'lll buy em'! :hihi: hahaha,soso many choices!i've been happy withe lowend dan Bailey's until recently;the leaking crotch area makes me look like i'm ready for `depends' after i take em' off :rolleyes:,,,still no clear victor here in spite of all the simms advertising i see other options :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I prefer that Patagonia waders. I have the older style that is being replaced with a new version. I fish them year round and I have had them for 4 years and I abuse the heck out of them. Never an issue! Cant go wrong with the Patagonia line and there customer service is exceptional. I bought boots from a local dealer and found them to be one size too small after a couple trips on the water. Sent them in and they sent me a new pair in the correct size. Love this company!

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Peter,

I am gald you are having good luck with the Wardells. Your post cracked me up, as I had forgoten about the episode I had with them several years back. To make a long story short I went through 3 pairs of waders, which all leaked or had some other defect out of the box. Every time I got a pair, I'd go fishing and then call the company president the next day and say something like, "yeah, I really appreciate the good service, but I am wet again..." It got to be laughable. This was about 5-6 years ago, and I am sure they figured it out since. Needless to say, I won't be trying a pair on to find out.

Since burning through my last (and I mean last) pair of Simms in about 2 months, I got a pair of Dan Bailey Yellowstone guide waders. They have kept me dry all winter, so I am begining to be impressed. It is too soon to tell just how they well survive a summer of being wet everyday, but it is a good start.

I just to fiddle around with the new Patagoinia waders and boots. I am impressed with both but until I get them wet I won't sound off on their merits. Lots of products look really good before they fail miserably.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Hammer...

Yes I got your e-mail. I have been gathering some info to forward over to you in regards to your inquiries.

I loved the picture. That will be the perfect location for the "Red Shed West".

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Another consideration here is that gore tex waders really do a better job of breathing in hot weather. The other stuff that patagonia and orvis use really warm up in the summer.

I went from some orvis to simms G3 and I can really notice the better breathability of the gore tex material. Did a lot of summer hiking in idaho while trout fishing a year ago and never broke a sweat in the G3s. I would have been buring up in the orvis waders.

Have been hearing though of a lot of issues with the G3s wearing out in the ass with heavy use. Mine are OK so far but I do not get to fish as much as some.

For my money though the simms classic guides are hard to beat.

-sean

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Sean,

I do agree with you that gore tex was more breathable than what the competition offered, though I think the competition is closing the gap in that regard. However, for my own fishing (not yours or anyone elses!) breathability is not a consideration in really hot weather as most anglers here wet wade in the summer months, especially when doing any hike in fishing. Come to think of it, I am really looking forward to that!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yep I agree. Wet wading is fun and I wish I could do more of it. With the steelheading I do out here wet wading does not happen as much due to the need to cross bigger rivers. I do not mind getting wet up to my knees but do not like sinking the jewels :).

Another aspect was my fishing on cape cod last summer. Some do wet wade and I did do some but having a good pair of waders helps cause the ocean is cold. Having good breathables really helped cause it gets hot and muggy out there.

I also run pretty hot and even in the middle of the winter here (mild by your standards) I can get uncomfortable fast. I cannot wear neoprenes as I just get miserable from the heat and lack of breathing. I think Juro has a photo of the steam factory I get going from doing some strenuous hiking. It aint pretty :Eyecrazy:

That being said I am looking forward to checking out some other waders. Those new simms travel waders look appealing as they do not have neoprene feet so they are not as hot and pack down into a small fanny pack. Thinking they might be the ticket to combine wet wading with the option of pulling out waders if you need it. Plus at $125 they are cheap. Going to try a pair during my cape cod trip this year. Could be a good summer wader option.

Most hardcore guides I talk to say even the best waders are 6 month things. Not really a wader made out there that can stand up to fishing 20+ days a month. Unfortunately I do not have that problem :mad:

-sean

1 - 20 of 40 Posts