Spey Pages banner

Best dang lightline spey, in your opinion

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  ChromeFever 
#1 ·
Just curious as to everbody's favorite lightline 2 hander. One of these days I need to get around to getting something lighter than my 7136 for trout fishing around here, so I want to know what you all are liking, and mostly, why you like it. I won't be buying anything for a little while, but I am sure that when fall rolls around, the I'll need a new rod fix. Something tossing the lightest windcutter (5-6) or similar lines would be in the ball park. I would want it to cast tips, but no more than a type 3. I'll probably nymph with it a little (mostly just to see if there is any advantage to it) but primarily it would be used for swinging wets. A rod that makes a 14'' trout feel like something would be pretty cool, and it wouldn't see any use for steelhead unless something bad happened. Med- Med fast rods seem to be my thing, and I dislike rods that are tip heavy or have a heavy feel in the hand. Well, shoot away, and thanks to all for their imput:)

#3 ·
Meiser 11' 7"

I am ordering one. I will report back after it arrives and there is a chance to test it. I already have the FES 13' 6" for 7/8 and like it very much, so the obvious choice to go again with a product I enjoy.

#4 ·
CND Expert 6/7

I am having a lot of fun with this rod, and when others cast it the response is "Hey, this is really pretty nice. This would make a good Trout/ shad/ half pounder, etc.. etc.. rod". It casts a 5/6 windcutter sweetly, does not like to be pushed. If you just stroke the rod it lays it out there nicely. I fished it just this afternoon with a #12 elk hair caddis. The rod loads nicely and lays a dry out there pretty as can be. I am currently sort of trying to figure out what line next for this rod. The windcutter, at 350 grains over 54 feet, definitely loads the rod. I may have to perform surgery on a 6/7 XLT to end up with a long belly line for it that won't overload it. At under $300 you can't go wrong!
(See Mike at Redshed flyshop, a forum sponsor, for more info)

#7 ·
Dr.Swing
Try the 6126-3(brown) Sage with a 6/7 midspey & poly leaders, if you want to get down. It is a lovely rod for trout in the 12 to 20" range and has the guts if you get into a steelie as long as you keep a low rod angle and use the but!(18lb buck - Dec 03) :chuckle:
speydoc

#8 ·
I'm still getting to know mine, but a two hander built out of a Redington 11' blank m

Pete, I've got a 'switch rod' made from the 6wt Reddington 11'3" and it's a delight! Purchased the rod from flyshopusa and had Bob Meizer put an extention handle below the butt.

Haven't put a tape to the rod since the 'rebuild' .... actually never occured to me to do so ... but it's probably about 11' 7-8" now. Works very well with the 5-6 WC line.
fae

#9 ·
BTW -

Those of you who attended the Kaufmanns Spey days may have tried Nobuo's 12' 2" 5/6 spey tracker. I am admittedly biased but it's far and away my favorite lightline spey.

I'll make sure they are available at Mark Bachmanns' Sandy River Spey Clave in May in Oregon, also the San Francisco Spey-o-rama in April. For those in the New England area, the Nor'easter Spey Clave in New Hampshire is scheduled for May 22nd (most likely Sewalls Falls). I will have the full demo set there as well.

#10 ·
Juro,

You keep wetting people's appetites with demos. But are the Spey trackers offered for sale yet, on this continent? I've heard lots of raving about this rod. Has anyone cast it with light sinktips, or is the floater the only way to go? Thanks to everyone for all of the info:)

#11 ·
They are in process of being evaluated. Sorry to tease, but other than testing performance on the river I also need to know how interested people are in these new models before I commit to production costs.

thanks

#13 ·
Peter -

I can ask Nobuo but it could be because much shorter than that and you could just use a single hander in such light grain weights (5/6). He does make a 9'6" 5/6/7 single/double in the tracker series but they are not available in north america. But even my 8wt 9' 6" single hander can spey cast very nicely with a SA Steelhead taper, although not as effectively and efficiently as a longer spey casting tool.

I would think that the 12' 2" 5wt makes a light rod feel like a 'real' spey casting tool (?)

#14 ·
Amazing Rod!

I too am biased, but was amazed that such a smooth light action was capable of easily throwing the 6/7 MidSpey that was on it.

With an appropriately shorter front taper, it would probably handle shorter/lighter tips too.

I was one of the lucky "testers" at the Kaufmann's clave and I know the next guy in line had a tough time prying that sweet little rod out of my hands. :smokin:

DS

#15 ·
yo mjyp

the Meiser 13' 5/6 is a sweet rod. You mentioned that it will show up at the clave. All attendees will like this. You can cast a DT8 all day with this rod. I really liked the 13' length for the Grand.

I hope to make it on Saturday.

gary

#16 ·
Speytracker

Juro, I think it's obvious that there is enough interest to at least release a limited first production run here. It would most likely sell out quickly. I suggest that you make an announcement here on the board and allow members first shot at them:devil: I have my deposit right here! Want it??
Seriously though, Here in Northern California it seems that most spey casters have started with 14 and 15 footers and are all moving towards the shorter, lighter rods. We have great runs of shad, halfpounder or blueback steelhead, and trout in our rivers. Light spey rods. It seems that everyone has one or is talking about which one they want. Don't miss out on the sales surge of this trend.

#17 ·
CND (JURO)

Yes Juro I think it would be a wise idea to get a pre production run of these out to some of us on the board. I would be in for one without even testing it? Something in a 11-12' 5 or 6wt I think would be perfect! :confused: Please let us know as soon as possible. It would be like Christmas in Summer:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.