Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of opinions on which brands of backing are best.
I'm setting up a new Loop Megaloop reel and would like to some you'alls opinions on the best options for fishing and for casting practice. The reel will be set up on a Bruce&Walker 15' Powerlite Speycaster.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
My personal preference is 30# test dacron, the kind with a hollow core. That way making the Blind Splice Loop is much easier. For lighter rods, many prefer 20# test, but I think that makes the BSL too hard to tie and the smaller diameter tends to cut into my hands, often painfully. I've tried a lot of other things, like braided nylon and it tends to bind much easier and cuts even worse.

G

·
I use gel spun quite a bit, but mostly on my saltwater reels. I know a lot of guys use it on spey reels in order to increase capacity, but my spey reels hold plenty of backing even with Dacron. Therefore, I use 30# Scientific Anglers System backing in white for almost all my freshwater reels. If capacity was an issue I'd fill it with Hatch Premium. I tried that with my Kingpin and got over 400yds of Hatch along with a 100' running line and a 450gr Skagit head on it with a little room to spare. Since I didn't need 400yds of expensive backing on that reel I removed it and put on about 250yds of 30# Dacron.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Same - same. 30# Dacron in 4" reels - that's over 200yards. 20# Dacron in the smaller Marquis No. 1 and such around 150 yards. Those capacities are under long bellies or shooting-heads/running lines when swapped.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
backing

I have switched to the Hatch Backing. It is inert so wont degrade, is about 60 lb test and the diameter size of 20 dacron. It's not cheap but you put it on once and that's it. Good Stuff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts