Spey Pages banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know that you really don't need much drag with a perfect style reel since you can always palm the spool but this was an interesting design challenge. The pawl click gives some resistance when reeling in and does not change as you increase the drag. I made 1 each RHW and LHW.

4" Mid-arbor Perfect with Sprag clutch.

Sprag clutch mounted on winding plate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello
First - amazing work eotr
My two cents as far as the use of technology and defining Bench made.
I have a small machine shop and tinker with reels and repairs.
I believe that many low volume reel makers will use the available technology (CNC machining, Laser and WaterJet cutting) to help maintain time/costs and improve the accuracy of the finished reel.
There is still much planning, design and fitting required that goes into a small batch reel because you do not have the luxury of walking into you parts tolerances.
I just would not want the use of available technological improvements to disqualify some makers from the definition of “Bench Made”
Thank you

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finally got most of my parts back from the anodizer, except for two reel backs that have to be stripped and redone:(

Here are a couple of Perfect style reels that I just finished assembling. The 4" C/P reel is for my 10'6" bamboo switch rod that I just completed. I'll load it with 100 yds. 20# Dacron, Rio Connect Core shooting line and a 225gr. OPST Commando Head. My buddy and I are going to try it out on the Bow this coming Thursday. I'm hoping that it works well for some of the browns still waiting in deep holes. The 3" C/P reel is going on a 8' 5wt cane rod for dry fly work.

4" Mid-Arbor Click/Pawl

3" Click/Pawl Trout reel

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,734 Posts
Dude...Your work is just sick.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts