Spey Pages banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
19,128 Posts
Excellent craftsmanship Brent, very impressive!!
Do you make a simple Gear & Pawl S-Handle option?

Mike

·
Registered
771 Posts
As centre-pin reels have come up...with permission, I am posting some images of a reel made by Leszak Delag, made for UK style float fishing. It was a collaboration in a way- as the maker asked forum members on the Traditional Anglers forum (UK) which features they considered important to include- I seem to remember there was a step by step process posted as he went.
Each and every part was hand made- the back is mahogany inlay with black ebony.

The interesting part to me is that the maker only started this kind of work a few short years ago.
Malcolm

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
453 Posts
Just imagine what Leszak could do with a spey reel.. although his first reel was a fly reel version of a St George.

View attachment 378174 View attachment 378175
Just imagine what Leszak could do with a spey reel.. although his first reel was a fly reel version of a St George.

View attachment 378174 View attachment 378175
Exquisite craftsmanship...One of my favourite vintage salmon reels are the English and Scottish Rosewood reels. This follows that tradition of beautiful and functional reels.
Regards....Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Excellent craftsmanship Brent, very impressive!!
Do you make a simple Gear & Pawl S-Handle option?

Mike

I came across photos of a few more G&P S-handles that I've made...

Bi-Metal Trout and Spey models

Spey reel with adjustable outbound drag with fixed inbound click

Spey reel with adjustable outbound drag with fixed inbound click

Trout size with adjustable outbound drag with fixed inbound click

Delrin/Aluminum Split drag

Adjustable outbound drag with fixed inbound click

·
Registered
20 Posts
MHC

Sweet little lathe - obviously another fan of things that go round and round😉

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,734 Posts
This thread sure get the juices flowing

·
Registered
73 Posts
Excellent and unbelievable talent on display in this thread.
I wish I had one tenth of these skills. The pride level meter must be off the chart when you are playing a fish on a reel that you design, machine and assemble from scratch.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Agreed. There are a few individuals out there who make their own bamboo rods, complete with components, plus make the reel and tie the fly. I know of one fellow (in France) who can make the bamboo rod plus the DT silk line to go with it, not the reel- however these were for single handed trout.

I know a handful of rod-makers who could make their own double handed rod, plus the reel to match it, but have yet to do so. None so far- rod, reel, line and fly- has anyone?

Malcolm

·
Registered
20 Posts
None so far- rod, reel, line and fly- has anyone?
Malcom

Does a horse hair line count? Here's a 60' WF9 that I made for single hand work in Alaska. I think I'll try it on my latest 10'6" double hander. I expect to be on the Bow River for spring Browns in a couple of weeks.

I used to make a reel to go with each cane two hander from my shop. The last pair was a 14' Horgard taper 4pc spliced rod with a Perfect style reel.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Wow, very impressive- of course horsehair counts.. first such line I have heard of.. you probably make handmade hooks as well..

Malcolm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Malcom

Sorry - I have not made hooks yet. However, one of my long time fishing buddies did make the jig that Tak Shimizu used to slice the barb on his handmade hooks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's a bit of a diversion. These were time fillers while I'm waiting for parts for 6 other reels to return from the anodizer. If I get desperate I can unscrew the reel foot from the brass base and fish the reel😁

Clock Reel - 4" Narrow / Large Arbor

21 - 40 of 44 Posts