Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gday all, I am wondering if I could get some help for a mate who is looking to buy a double handed rod for salmon in the UK.

Unlike you blessed people in the US that have river full of various species of salmon we are noit blessed with the same opportunities to even try out the rods on a river.

Could I please have sime suggestions for a decent all round 15ft rod that will cope with up to wet cell 4 lines. This may limit the range somewhat but the ideal is to have just the one rod considering the relatively few time a year it will be used in anger.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hmmm ....

Sagefly,

Welcome to the Forum! Your question is far more difficult for me than it first appeared to be. The problem is the use of full sinking lines. On this side of the pond it is very rare to see the use of full sinkers, we depend on interchangeable sink-tip combinations to do our sunk-fly fishing. These cast way differently than the full sinkers and I think this is reflected by different rod actions. So I'm not sure that too many of us on this side can really recommend the "best" rod for your use. Maybe Willie Gunn or someone with more "British" experience will help out.

For what it is worth, I think that the 15' Loop Yellow or Blue Line are pretty good all-round rods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kush

Kush,

Thanks for the reply, I had totally forgotten aboiut the Loop series, We do not see much of the rods over here. I will track down a supplier who can let us have a river test and let you know the outcome.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Sagefly, I am curious just what are the characteristics of fishing up to a wet cell 4 line are? Is this to say that you are looking for a rod that has enough power to lift a sunk hi-density line out of the dangle with a single roll cast before casting, and if so how much line length is expected to be handled?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sagefly,
Coincidentally, last night I was looking at the chapter in Hugh Falkus' book, Salmon Fishing, on fishing sinking lines, and he described using a 15' Bruce & Walker 10/11 with full sinkers. You might take a look at those rods. I have also seen the Daiwa's on sale on several UK flyshop websites; I would think that they would do the trick, too (I've ordered a Daiwa 14' 9/10 myself).

Peter, do you have any experience with the Daiwa's other than the Lochmor X?

JGE

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks, Peter. I found a good deal on the closed-out Alltmor, and when it arrives, I'll let you know how it works. It sounds like no matter which Daiwa model you go with, it will have plenty of backbone.

Sagefly, given the fairly reasonable prices on the Daiwas, and your location, you might want to give them a test cast.

JGE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts