Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a single handed 6/7 reddington rod with the thought of using it for a light spey type rod. Here in northern wyoming we fish some large rivers for husky cutbows. any thoughts or experiences out there with this rod that would give me some advice on a line. I am also thinking of using it for some steelheading out of Coos Bay in the near future. (is this a dumb idea ? I have fly fished for about fifty-five years and have a little experience with large trout on a fly.)
Thanks,
gary w smith :confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gary,

I assume you're talking about using the rod for single-hand spey casting? A couple of the better lines on the market for this technique--at least right now--are the RIO Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead taper and the Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Steelhead taper. Both are modified weight forward lines with slightly longer bellies and rear tapers to make roll casting/single-hand spey casting easier. Of the two, at least in the lighter line sizes, e.g., 6 wt., I've found the RIO to be the best casting line and the S.A. to be the most durable.

I'm not that familiar with Redington's current line of rods, and you don't mention length or model so I can't say exactly how well the rod will work for what you're intending. Is it the CW 966/7?

Single-hand spey is generally easier--particularly when you're talking about steelheading--with a longer rod, e.g., 9.5' to 10'. And, lots of guys prefer a more progressive action, e.g., older Sage RPL, Scott ARC, etc. Of course, that's not to say it can't be done--even done well--with other rods, however.

When you say steelheading out of Coos Bay, I assume you mean on the Oregon Coast? A 6/7 can be a little light of a rod for fishing the winter steelhead in that area, but will work just fine for certain techniques. Should be a good choice for fishing over trout of all sizes, though.

Hope that helps,

Grant

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I love the Wulff TT lines on single handed rods (not their long belly lines!) - you can switch cast pretty much a full line. You may want a sink tip however and I have not used the TT sink tips. Rio makes several sink tips in varying lengths and they are great casting lines with little hinging.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts