Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting started in spey casting. I want to build a spey rod, but I am not sure what the best action for distance is. I want to use clousers and need to know what length/action/weight would be best for this. I also need to know what lines would be best for casting heavy flies. I live on the Rainy River on the Minnesota Canada border. I started catching big walleye from shore with a 9' 5wt. and clouser minnows. I have not found any other flies that work better so far. The banks of the Rainy are high and the river is very wide. I think spey casting is the answer to getting farther out into the river short of getting the boat out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you're set on building on your own I highly recommend you give Bob Meiser a call to discuss your needs. Bob will be able to recommend a blank and line system to fit your application. He's a wealth of knowledge and designs incredible blanks.

·
Hopeless Romantic...
1,950 Posts
Dan, move this topic over to the "spey basics" forum, you'll get a lot of help there-
You might also post this in the "Rods" forum-

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to Bob Meiser today. He is a really helpful nice guy. I appreciate the time he gave me on the phone. Awsome.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finished the 15' Meiser. Here is the fore grip. It is made of Leopard wood, African blackwood, Bloodwood and Maple. The cork was the best cork I havbe ever seen. I got it from Angler's Workshop.

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
Rainey river Huh.I was born(hatched/extruded) in Baudette(walleye Capital of the World)-fished the Rainey often for Walleye,Sturgeon, and suckers as a kid.
It's warms my heart to hear of a double hander in the Home Land.
A 14-15 foot 8 -10 weight would be perfect.
A 10 weight scando line would be nice for strippin in and I remember some pretty tight banks,it will handle Clousers well as well as be easy to fish all day.
Are gettin them on the swing or strippin the clouser?
Long line on the Rainey-I just sprouted:saeek: :Eyecrazy: :eek:

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
The family farm is about 12 miles so.of town on 72.
Peterson's & Sorenson's-very Minnesota names:D
I remember as a kid smokin cigs in Willy Walleye:tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you look at my avatar, the bridge in the background is the car bridge over the Rainy from Baudette. I was about 4 blocks from Willie Walleye.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks steve. I took some more pictures that turned out a little better. I used a classic twist thread on the guides and ferrule wraps (Gudebrod 001/326 ) that just does not show well with the equipment I have. They have a metallic trim on the ends and an accent band or bands that is Fish Hawk 402. I like the classic twist effect because it has not been made in many years and it gives the rod a more traditional look. I used to have a scanner that did thread and feather inlays better than any camera I ever had, but it has died. My new scanner sucks in ways I had never anticipated. I still have one photo that is to big. I'll fix it and then post it.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This shows the wood in the rear grip better. The top and bottom have this really bizzare grain in the brown part. It is Leopard wood. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. The Rainy River is open at Birchdale and I was goin to attempt fishing it yesterday but we had an all day white out. I didn't think I was going to make it to the highway today. Most of you may be having spring but we are still in winter here. Last year the ice didn't leave Lake of the Woods till well into June. Global warming my #**. I may be able to try the rod in the next couple of days. I may have trouble due to shelf ice though. You guys should see the size of the boats some people are willing to shove across ice to hit open water this time of year.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts