Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to this sit and will be new to Spey fishing. I am interested in getting a versatile entry level two handed or "Spey"
rod for beginners. Ideally I would like to fish for steel head and trout on large rivers. If I were able to get away with using same rod occasionally in the salt it would be nice. I already have an eight weight LA reel so I am siding toward an 8wt. I know nothing about Spey or Two handed fishing but have always wanted to learn. I have been fly fishing for just over a decade and hope that might help a little.

I think it is finally time but would like to ease into it without a huge investment at this point. I have looked at the TFO rods and they seem linke the way to go until I noticed the Winston makes an entry level spey rod $350. Do you think the Winston is worth the extra $$$ or would I merely be paying for a name? I don’t think I would be able to notice a difference between one or another since I have never cast a two handed rod. This will make me value your responses that much more I hope some of you may be of assistance.

MW

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hello MW,

The Winston would be a great rod to start with for spey casting. You mentioned some fishing in salt (I assume stripers) you might consider the Scott A2 series. Either the 1308 (13' 8wt) or 1409. Both will spey cast yet have the ability to overhead cast very well on a windy beach or rocky point. I believe the A2 rods are $350. If you are fishing salt a lot then I give the nod to the 1308 which is really a 9 wt. If you are doing an even amount of salt and spey i would go with the 1409. If you are mostly all spey then the Winston will be great.

Also, a 8/9 spey line takes up a lot more room then an 8 wt single hand line. Typically you need more like a 10 wt. reel to balance an 8 wt spey and hold the line.

Hope this helps.

Greg

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
The St Croix Avid series is another to consider. The A14910 is a nice all-round two-hander in the same price range with a moderate action that will make it easy to master for a new Speycaster, with lots of reserve power in the butt that will help you make longer, more powerful casts when you need to. I think a 14ft rod might also give you an advantage in the surf.

Another Speypages consideration of course is that St Croix and Scott mentioned by Greg, as well as many other great rod makers, are Speypages sponsors; unfortunately Winston is not.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I think it is finally time but would like to ease into it without a huge investment at this point.

Great advice from Greg and Dana. There are a great many very good rods out there including the St Croix and Winstons. The best way to see what will work for you is to try some rods on your local water.

If you want to give this a try and have some budget restraints the TFO rods are a very good choice. When matched with the right line they work great and they have a warranty that is as good as anything in the industry. See your local TFO dealer for a test drive if available if it's not let me know. I wll send you a balanced TFO setup to try with no obligation except the return postage should you not like it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1st off I would like to thank everyone for all their helpful suggestions! I was leaning toward TFO Winston along with CNS because a "local" shop caries these rods and knows allot about Spey fishing an added bonus also includes that shop is a sponsor of this site:D . After speaking with a friend he seriously discouraged my from buying a TFO or CNS while still being encouraging about me getting a spey rod. My friend mentioned that his TFO broke 1st cast which scares me:Eyecrazy: and that the CNS broke also and that it took something line 9months:eek: I cant weight nine months for a rod to get repaired.

As for my super 8 being a little light... I can see that being an issue but I can always get a spare spool that is rated for a 10-11wt rod that is not a LA a little bit down the road. I have always liked Winston rods *surpris* ;) and may be willing to invest that 100 extra dollars to get a vapor spey rod. It looks like I may just end up selling a single hand rod and make a little larger initial investment... it could save me some money in the long run.

Thanks guys for walking this newbie through things a bit!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GPearson said:
Hello MW,

The Winston would be a great rod to start with for spey casting. You mentioned some fishing in salt (I assume stripers) you might consider the Scott A2 series. Either the 1308 (13' 8wt) or 1409. Both will spey cast yet have the ability to overhead cast very well on a windy beach or rocky point. I believe the A2 rods are $350. If you are fishing salt a lot then I give the nod to the 1308 which is really a 9 wt. If you are doing an even amount of salt and spey i would go with the 1409. If you are mostly all spey then the Winston will be great.

Also, a 8/9 spey line takes up a lot more room then an 8 wt single hand line. Typically you need more like a 10 wt. reel to balance an 8 wt spey and hold the line.

Hope this helps.

Greg
Yes most of my salt fishing is for stripers but I also would like to fish the Delaware for stripers... right now I see it being a little more salt then spey but I wouldent mind chaning that. Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dana said:
The St Croix Avid series is another to consider. The A14910 is a nice all-round two-hander in the same price range with a moderate action that will make it easy to master for a new Speycaster, with lots of reserve power in the butt that will help you make longer, more powerful casts when you need to. I think a 14ft rod might also give you an advantage in the surf.

Another Speypages consideration of course is that St Croix and Scott mentioned by Greg, as well as many other great rod makers, are Speypages sponsors; unfortunately Winston is not.
I have heard great things about St Croix but negative things about scotts customer sevice have you had any experence with either thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MJC said:
If you want to give this a try and have some budget restraints the TFO rods are a very good choice. When matched with the right line they work great and they have a warranty that is as good as anything in the industry. See your local TFO dealer for a test drive if available if it's not let me know. I wll send you a balanced TFO setup to try with no obligation except the return postage should you not like it.
Thank you for offering but Iwill more then likely test cast the TFO rod at my local shop since they are a sponsor of this site and are local. By going to the local shop I hope to perhaps get a casting lesson being a begenr.... but thanks again

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
After speaking with a friend he seriously discouraged my from buying a TFO or CNS while still being encouraging about me getting a spey rod. My friend mentioned that his TFO broke 1st cast which scares me and that the CNS broke also and that it took something line 9months I cant weight nine months for a rod to get repaired.
If your friends TFO broke on the first cast it was a fluke. I have sold over 60 TFO in the last 2 yrs and know of only two that needed warranty work, both the owner's fault. How long did it take your friend to get a new rod? TFO turns them around in one week. The shop your friend bought his TFO from should have immediately given him a new one.

As to CNS, never heard of it. If you mean CND it should be noted that they have a new North American distributor and all the outstanding customer service issues have been resolved. As well the new distributors are doing an outstanding job of satisfying any warranty issues in a very timely manner.

That being said if you like the Winston you should by all means purchase it. However I would not buy it or any other two hander without giving it a test drive, especially in light of the fact that you are new to two handers. Even if you can't spey cast, some rods will feel better to you then others. Any dealer that has "your best interest" at heart will have some type of test drive program before you drop your coin. Have fun!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MJC said:
If your friends TFO broke on the first cast it was a fluke. I have sold over 60 TFO in the last 2 yrs and know of only two that needed warranty work, both the owner's fault. How long did it take your friend to get a new rod? TFO turns them around in one week. The shop your friend bought his TFO from should have immediately given him a new one.

As to CNS, never heard of it. If you mean CND it should be noted that they have a new North American distributor and all the outstanding customer service issues have been resolved. As well the new distributors are doing an outstanding job of satisfying any warranty issues in a very timely manner.

That being said if you like the Winston you should by all means purchase it. However I would not buy it or any other two hander without giving it a test drive, especially in light of the fact that you are new to two handers. Even if you can't spey cast, some rods will feel better to you then others. Any dealer that has "your best interest" at heart will have some type of test drive program before you drop your coin. Have fun!
It is good to hear that the TFO breaking could have been a fluke I will be sure to ask him to elaborate on the rod breaking. Its nice to know thta if the rod does break it will be replaced quickly.

Thanks for correcting me on CND I am glad you understood what I meant... it is nice to hear that they have resolved their issues but I dont even want to think about CND after my friends experence.

As for test driving the rod before I buy it that will be possible and is encouraged by the shop.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Mr. Winston,

I am sorry to hear of your experience with CND's former distribution, however our new distributors Lee and Nancy Davison have made it priority one to provide exceptional customer service and they not only honoured the former distributor's outstanding issues but did it in timely and generous fashion. It has not been a full year since they came on board and you would be hard pressed to find a customer or dealer that is unhappy with their service.

You may never be a CND customer, however, if you were, you would find not only exceptional equipment, but exceptional service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kush,

Thanks alot I will try and give them some serious consideration when I look at new rods. I t sounds like they wre put in a bit of a difficult place by the former owners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts