·
Administrator
19,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This pattern has been good to me over the years for steelhead on my home river

Purple & Green Picasse

Hook: Bartleet
Body: Black V-Rib or Swandaze
Underwing: Fl. Green Arctic Runner (long) with 4-6 strands of holographic pearl flash (thin)
Wing: Fl. Purple Arctic Runner, slightly shorter about 3/4 length of under wing
Hackle: Dark Purple Heron, two turns.
Collar: Silver Pheasant (natural), one side stripped, one turn.
Cheeks: JC nails

I was introduced to the Picasse by my river brother Jim, one of the fishiest river dawgs I know. And he is responsible for the love affair I now have with these Scottie rods.
He showed me the original version and then a couple variants he came up with.
It was the Picasse that introduced me to silver pheasant collars, nothing goes POP like silver pheasant.

This variant is fabricated using high quality Veniard Arctic Runner I found from the Tying Scotsman in rural Margaree.
Arctic Runner flows like marabou, but keeps it's profile on the swing ... crazy good stuff!!
This one is Green & Purple. I like to tie these with the under wing slightly longer than the over wing to enhance the profile up front.
Tie on a "hen's tooth" McNeese iron, dressed thin and sparse, this offering sinks like a stone.

The above photo shows the effectiveness of this fly.
You can see it in lodged in the corner of this hens jaw.

Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
Note to self: tie up some more picasse variants!
I like using up an old full sinking lake trout flyline long retired for the body ribbing. Helps the sink a touch and is inside the grey zone of weighting a fly. It ain't exactly metal, so...

The simplicity of the bodies begs more creativity with the dressings.
SP really does pop!

·
Administrator
19,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to add, I sometimes tie the body of a Picasse with a silver tinsel or a bright floss under body and a clear V-rib over top ... just saying ;)

Mike

·
Administrator
19,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Picasse is a very simple tie, the V-rib takes a little getting use to so that the tie in point doesn't bulk up the butt area.
A simple way is to cut the V-rib on an angle, making a long thin tapered triangle. Then with lots of thread pressure, secure it in by the tip on the underside of the shank making sure the flat side is secured to the shank, leaving the rounded side "up" for winding. Gives the body a nice textured look.

Mike

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,850 Posts
This pattern has been good to me over the years for steelhead on my home river
Pretty easy to understand why a great fly and a very proficient fisherman = Hook Up in my dictionary

Reactions: GR8LAKES FLYER

·
BBCT
187 Posts
Could I get the recipe for that fly. I really like the way it looks.

Cheers,
Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts