Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, you have finally "Dialed in" your casting good enough to "Get it out there"--NOW WHAT?---We all know swingers who for some reason seem to be better predators and experience more bites and hookups than others.---Luck? Skill? or something some might describe as the "ZONE"?---What is your secret or technique that has improved your hookup percentages?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Devil is in the Details

Seems to me that the "getting it out there" is only a small part of getting the actual hookup. I only say that because i know lots of people who get it out there and don't catch much. Reminds me of a time I fished the Teton with 2 buddies of mine. I had a banner day, one of the best days of fishing of my life. I showed them the streamer I was using and they both put one on. One buddy did pretty well, the other got skunked. Same exact fly, floating the river together, completely different results. I think it comes down to multiple things in no particular order.
1. Reading water. Good anglers know where the fish are most likely to be and can pick spots out and probably explain exactly why they like it. The proper water greatly enhances chances for success.
2. Fishing the fly- there are tons of intricacies in fishing the fly. Mending, slowing it down, speeding it up, gaining proper depth, fly selection etc.
3. Timing- You can't catch any fish if there aren't any in the river. With such a small number of fish, you have to try to stack the odds in your favor. The problem is... often you are fighting the crowds. One of the benefits of being a local is you can try to fish during the best times i.e. low light conditions, optimal water levels etc.
4. Casting- you do need to be able to cast well and I believe the better you are at casting and delivering the fly, the better your chance of a hookup.
5. Experience experience experience!- I think the real predators are the ones who know their local waters. Much of this experience translates to other rivers because the principles are often the same... but its hard to outfish a person on their home water.

There is a lot more i could add but these are just some of the things that popped into my mind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is an interesting thread to me because I am at the "able to get it out there but few fish" phase. My next step is to follow Thunderbolt's great advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good stuff from Thunderbolt, I think #2, fishing the fly is very important. I have fished with two guys, both have long casts, same water, same fly. One guy is red hot, the other practically skunked.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some excellant points brought up earlier. I recommend that you read this thread http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=45149 a couple of times.
Time on the water is only way to get this confidence that you need.
I think the biggest thing for me is learning a few stretches of water on rivers close to me. Fish them whenever and as often you can and you will learn where fish hold at different times of the year and in different water conditions.
Fishing the fly is a tough one also. The more you get out the more you will get a feel of what your fly is doing out there.
I am as guilty as the next person with this point. I love to cast far. There's something about bombing a cast to the far bank that brings a Wow feeling when you get it right. Unfortunately, sometimes we don't have to cast that far and we cast over some nice holding areas right in front of us. Maybe a better way to put it is don't fish beyond your casting ability. If you can lay down some nice casts to 60 feet, then fish 60 feet out until you get better at casting, which will only improve the more that you get out. Enjoy the journey!
B13R

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
agree with above.

Pick a mile of water close to home and learn it inside and out. Fish it in all its moods, and adjust tackle and technique accordingly.

Making the fishable cast with a decent fly is the start. Learning to SWIM the fly, be in touch with it, see what it sees as it scans through the swing, now that's FISHING a fly.

It all starts with water that has fish in it. Physical and temporal location, coupled with knowledge about the strain of fish in that particular river, will lead you to fish water that actually has fish in it. That's a plus, if you're not into casting practice.;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Becoming the Fly!

Sounds like a book I read a while back called "Becoming the arrow"!---ie: Mind body with the fly! or "becoming the Fly"!-----heavy **** boys!

Good stuff!---Keep it coming

Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would add...wear drab colors..nothing bright. Stealth in the stream is critical. Wade cautiously and QUITELY. A rolled rock or wading staff clacking on a rock could be all it takes to ruin your day. Wrap the bottom half of that wading staff with Gorilla tape followed by a layer of electricians tape. In bright conditions keep your shadow off the water your fishing. Did I say be quiet.....it doesn't take much to "ping" that lateral line. Be focused, intent and confident. The first and last 15 minutes of daylight is your friend.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great thoughts!---WOW!---never gave much thought to noise from my staff.--Good idea to soften the staff with tape.
Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great thoughts!---WOW!---never gave much thought to noise from my staff.--Good idea to soften the staff with tape.
Bill
While your at add rubber tip to then end. They can be had at the local hardware store. Put it on with epoxy. You'll be surprised how fast it wears.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
In the electrical dept of the hardware, you can find shrink tubing large enough to go slip over most any metal staff. It's very heavy and once shrunk onto the staff, affords a really durable quieting layer.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great shot!----Well, I have my noisy wading staff wrapped and ready to go to Haida Gwaii tomorrow, full of confidence that I will not be spooking the critters with my staff!---I'll believe anything!--it's worth a try!--ha!

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts