Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a copy of Bob Arnold's "Steelhead and the Floating Line" and after seeing the Beauly Snow Fly on the cover, I've been totally geeking on this pattern.

My first attempt, I don't have a lot of experience with more classic type patterns, so there is a level of slop going on here (I think).

But it looks great in the water and I have a high level of confidence because of the color scheme and similarity to the Egg Sucking Leech patterns I'm more accustomed to.

-matt

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
Great tying !! Love the wet shot against the reel ... getting all geeked about the photo !!
It's a confidence fly of mine for late fall and winter swinging too .
Hard to beat that blue/peacock scheme with a bit of flash and colour up front .
A vintage ESL if you will :hihi:
Never had much success with smaller versions though , I'm talking smaller than a #2 .
Best success for me has been tied on a blind eye Dee Iron #2/0 :smokin:

Mike

·
Internet Scientist
1,431 Posts
Good news: That fly will work. Excellent.

Bad news: If it doesn't, it's not the fly's fault:p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never had much success with smaller versions though , I'm talking smaller than a #2 .
Best success for me has been tied on a blind eye Dee Iron #2/0 :smokin:

Mike
Thanks Mike - I was going to ask about hook sizes, this is on a #3 - Daiichi Alec Jackson 2051 (I think) and seems pretty small. I'll give some bigger hooks a try then too.
-matt

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
OK......Now I have to tie up a couple tonight. Drats!
Keith , just do it and you will be glad you did :hihi:

Matt , Mr. Snowie of Inverness intended this fly to be tied on long , heavy irons to fish during the first snowfalls along the River Beauly .
I try to follow his recommendations when I tie it . I do like them tied with a multi-tone body though , gives a bit more contrast . I also look for the thinnest and longest sword herls found at the base of the quill . The Black Emperor Peacock tail that I have has perfect herls for the wing .... slightly bronzed :smokin::smokin:
I realize that his dressing asks for herls .... I find the fish like the shine of the swords better .
I like a thin body , total length to the end of wing about 3.5" .... perfect !!

Mike

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
This is one of my favourite early morning/evening/stained water patterns! :chuckle:

A couple things to add some sex appeal. Scrub out your dubbing with velcro. tie in your wing with Peacock herl eyes.
these

wing your fly with equal parts from each side of the eye. gives the wing a pretty curve. Makes the fly 0% more effective.

·
Banned
690 Posts
This is one of my favourite early morning/evening/stained water patterns! :chuckle:

A couple things to add some sex appeal. Scrub out your dubbing with velcro. tie in your wing with Peacock herl eyes.
these

wing your fly with equal parts from each side of the eye. gives the wing a pretty curve. Makes the fly 0% more effective.
Yeah, Brent's a big fan of the leech...he spikes his with Berkley Power Scents though...
:razz:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I love the blue dubbed body on that. The last time I tied a couple up I used a silver tinsel body with palmered blue schlappen over, thinkin it would give the same effect.

It didn't! I'm not sure I have any blue dubbing, but I sure have some blue floss.

Tonight's task is now set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.