Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To respect certain people's desires and the future fishery of this river where these magnificent fish came from, I've removed the photos as the location has become too much of a topic.

I find it a little sad that we can't share in the pleasure of others in this great pastime we have without controversy. Granted, I think it's a great acknowledgement to our community that a great deal of people are so passionately concerned.

Cheers,
Preston

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you see now?

I linked them to a photobucket album

·
Registered
200 Posts
I see them now.

The photo's look kind of funny. I am not sure what it is. I wonder how they got the fish and angler in focus and the background in focus as well. They look as if the fish and angler have been pasted onto the river photo's. Smarter guys than me will figure it out.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
pics

eh Mark. yes, when I first looked at them they look a bit weird too. These pics come from a discussion board where background shots are prohibited but the guy explicitly said he didn't blur them since nobody would know where this place is. A couple of the pics with the bearded guy look odd...however the shots where you see their feet in the water make it believable.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty jealous of these magnificent fish where ever they came from. I just hope they were released in good condition...

·
Registered
128 Posts
could just be a daytime flash effect with a very hi-res digital camera... that fillet knife in the first photo has me wondering though....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here is the PM I sent WX earlier today. I have only fished a few of the rivers in the Skeena system and am at best a mediocre photographer. Photo #4 shows a road in the background. Others show ice in the shallows with not much snow depth. I can't identify the conifers so I am at a loss to identify the stream. The stream appears to have a low gradient. In my very limited experience the fish seem stockier like Thompson River fish vs. Kispiox fish. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and solve this mystery.

Well, the only place I know that has those size summer run steelhead and a road on one side of the river and is a fairly small river is the Kispiox, and the upper Babine below the lake, which I have not been to. To make the fish look so big compared to the angler they have to use a wide angle lense. I wonder how they got the fish and the background in focus. Pictures #2 and #3 look almost like when you stick someone's head on top of somebody else's body in a picture. Don't know.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice fish, couple comments.

I think the combination of them being held out in front of the angler thrust to the camera, being notably closer to the camera than the angler itself lends to the convergence/divergence resultant effect (put your eye close to anything and it looks bigger).

Does appear those fish were handled for a bit of a spell, ie. not just lifted up second or two prior to the photo. Many I know take great care in minimizing stress to the fish including time out of the water. I believe this is key to the C&R working well long term. When you kneel in a few inches of water for a photo of a large fish you know it's been carried into shallows/posed/carried out etc. Don't agree with that, especially during colder weather when time out of water's even more stressful on the fish as I understand.

·
Oh how I miss the NW
126 Posts
Happy Gilmore said:
Don't agree with that, especially during colder weather when time out of water's even more stressful on the fish as I understand.
I always heard the opposite. Warm weather is very tough on fish. Here in new England we have thermal refuges during the summer that cannot be fished. It is true of exceptionaly cold weather as well? :confused:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I think river size, river gradient, water color, ice, snow, fish size, fish shape, fish color, and road all add up to the Kispiox. Could be the Sustut, but for the road. Appears too small a river for the Babine, not to mention the road presence.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I believe I know exactly where the shots were taken but I see no need to talk about it on-line.

Very nice fish but please, get them back in the water guys.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Personally i am not a big fan of hero shots.. keep the fish in the water at all time please.....
Take a picture with the fish in the water.. heavier the fish the harder it is on them when u lift them out of the water.
I don't know how cold it was when they took the pictures of the fish but if it is cold it can freeze thier gills and really cause some damage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
jhicks said:
I always heard the opposite. Warm weather is very tough on fish. Here in new England we have thermal refuges during the summer that cannot be fished. It is true of exceptionaly cold weather as well? :confused:
I'm not talking affect on fish WITHIN the stream. As ABITO said, exposure outside their underwater (above freezing) environment is not good. Ice crystals in gills/respiration etc when they're lifted up and into the non-insulating frozen air with very low humidity etc etc.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
These fish have almost dripped dry!!! The bearded lad in the third pic is puttin some serious pressure on the heart, kidneys and stomach. A squeeze like that could rupture something couldn't it?? Cold air can also freeze the eyes as well as gills. Bad news all around for these poor fish,,, not to mention freezer burn:mad:
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why are you rippin on those guys

I think thats its a lil bit funn y that everyone seems to be ripping on these guys. I understand that people dont like "hero" shots, but come on. We all enjoy the same sport and it is nice to see a few giants every now and again.
Speykid

·
Registered
360 Posts
speykid

Point taken, but who likes to see beautiful giants like these die a preventable death.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts