Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, steelheaders.

I am going to Vancouver for a job meeting in late October, and originally planned to join some friends who is fishing the Skeena tributaries like Bulkley, Kispiox, Copper for four days of fishing after this meeting, (flying to Terrace from Vancouver). Now it seems like they will be gone back before I arrive, and I am in lack of company and knowledge.

I am an experienced Atlantic salmon angler, but has never fished for stellhead, neither been in BC. I would like to get in contact with anyone who is fishing attractive steelhead flyfishing rivers the last week of October, and who would be interested in helping me sort everything out. I am easy company (I think), willing to cover/share expenses, hire a car etc. The fishing does not necessarily have to be on the rivers above, it could be closer to Vancouver, I have also read about the Thompson which sounds interesting but special. I can also offer same help back in exchange if host want to come to Norway to try our Atlantic salmon and fish interesting beats on the Gaula river.

Would also appreciate any good advice from all of you, for instance if there is interesting rivers near Vancouver for flyfishin steelheads, what is best to do at that time etc... Also, if you could suggest a good guide or lodge with reasonable price that is a good starting point, I must consider this if necessary.

Thanks a lot!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Trip swap for the Gaula? Sounds very tempting... I'd fly out for such a trade myself :)

From Vancouver in late October you could fish a number of venues in the area. The Thompson would be a good choice, although I understand Terrace would be better because of access and choices. You might also consider fishing in Washington State as well. Vancouver is just over the US border and there are three venues:

1) Olympic Peninsula
2) Cascade / Puget Sound Rivers
3) Columbia Tributaries

All of which should be fishing well by then.

If you throw in the famed Deschutes and other Oregon rivers, then you have a (4) fourth option a few hours away, only 1-2 hours from the Columbia tribs in Washington (3).

If you do any saltwater fishing, there will be excellent numbers of coho salmon and early chum in the tide waters further in Puget Sound and on the coastal rivers as well.

I hope you hook up with Forum guys in Terrace, the original plan. If not the Washington river systems might be something to think about.

Who knows if things go my way I might even fly out and join you myself in Terrace! Don't tell my wife I just said that :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
To avoid any possible conflict if you happen to choose the Thompson river as your destination.PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT GUIDING IS ILLEGALL ON THIS RIVER.

Rick

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dear Norwegian,
I will be on the Thompson for at least the last couple weeks of October with a couple other buddies, but would welcome your company. I own a very small, but dry, warm clean house overlooking the motel run in Spences Bridge, BC. We eat most meals out, but you are also welcome to whatever may land on the BBQ as well. If you are interested, please let me know. I am not a guide nor is there any charge other than maybe a tube fly from your local rivers.
Steve

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Norwegian...

I've never met "lastcaststeve" and only know him by reputation, but I think he made you one hell of an offer. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for great input here and via pm.

Lastcaststeve - great offer! Could you please email me (look it up in the members directory).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts