Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm newer to BC (vancouver areas) and curious regarding fishing conditions now and into summer. My understanding is that there's normally freshet/runoff, making many of the local rivers murky and unfishable, however I heard that there was less freshet this year due to a warmer winter.

Would this make some of the local streams fishable now whereas they otherwise wouldn't be?

Any general recommendations appreciated. I'd love to continue to fish local rivers as much as possible.

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
411 Posts
Pretty much, yes. Fishable. That said, most of the local (valley out to Hope) rivers are fishable even with a large runoff. Might be a bit off in colour but the big thing is the volume of water is greater. The Chilliwack for instance will run relatively clear, but will be swollen. Size of melting snowpack will determine. The Fraser River on the otherhand will be mud and unfishable till mid July on a normal year. When I say unfishable, I mean for trout/salmon and steelhead. Sturgeon and Pike minnows can be fished.

If your new to the area, just be sure to read the regs and keep updated with changing openings/closings online, or at your locale shop. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Remember that. Be mindful of closures as they are in place for a reason. Pinch all your barns as moving water its the law, and last but far from least, use common sense and etiquette on the rivers. DONT LOW HOLE.

Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Steelheadfreak. It turns out I'll be doing some interior lake fishing, however, come July 1, a specific river will be open and I'd love to head that way to try swinging some wet flies for bull trout. Should be fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts