Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be interested to hear others experience with the Bauer M7 which I note is decribed as having flawless performance in the "Reel Reviews" Section. I bought a pair and have had a couple of problems with the drag, including lack of smoothness and poor sensitivity caused by problems with the drag adjustment star which on one of my reels screws right off the threaded bar with a small amount of pressure beyond the point of minimum drag set. A friend of mine has had similar problems with the M7 drag system. For a premium reels this seems poor although I have had no problms with my samller M2. Attempts to contact Bauer by email and phone (they currently have no UK distributer) have met with absolutely no response. I'f be really interested to see if others have experience similar problems

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board

caolal. I have an older M7 and M6 Bauer that have worked flawlesly. I have used them primarily for steelhead fishing and have had no drag problems, even when dunking the reel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The problem you are experiencing is...

Caolal,

I have several Bauer reels and have experienced this problem as well. Turns out that the older M series reels and some of the MSL reels only had two clutch rollers instead of four. These two rollers are horizontally opposed. What happens is the two roller model tends to vibrate because it can rock back and fourth. I lost a couple of fish last year when one of my MSL series reels over spooled, it did not matter if I tightened the drag or not, same problem. The good and bad news is Bauer will upgrade the reel to the four clutch roller for $35USD, also, Bauer will upgrade the polymer on the spool if it is the older gray, the new polymer is tan. It does solve the problem but you would have thought it would be covered in the warranty.

You can verify this by taking off the spool and removing the retaining ring (just be careful to do it with something that will not scratch the cork drag) then pull the drag disk. Be carefull at this point as the clutch rollers can fall out very easily.

Fishgrog,

·
Banned
161 Posts
Upgrade

The previous post is spot on with regard to the 2 improvements Bauer has made to their original clutch system. For $US35 you effectively get the latest drag system and a complete overhaul of your reel. I sent in 6 Bauers and had them back in a very short turnaround. I questioned the $35 charge and had a good discussion regarding their expense to perform the service and such and felt much better about paying the fee. Being in the UK makes it tougher, but I know you will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for your feedback and suggestions.My reels have the new (tan) polymer and 4 clutch rollers and the problems I have are slightly different. The first is hat the star shaped drag adjuster simply screws off the draw bar once you have got to the minimum drag setting (without disengaging the quick release latch) and yhr second is a squeaking when line is drawn off by hand or by a fish. These combine to create a drag system with low sensitivity and high start up inertia. I guess I can send these back to Bauer but the reels are only a year old and have seen only little active service to date. Also I'm a little bit reluctant to send them back since they don't seem to acknowledge any emails or voicemessages at Bauer but I guess this shouldn't be a problem since some of the respondents seem to have had servicing done albeit at a cost I'll be sticking with my Ari T Hart, Abel and Vosseler reels in future all of which do give flawless performance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your two Bauer problems...

Caolal,

Sorry that I interpeted your problems incorrectly. As for the reel squeaking, I would start by putting the Bauer lubricant on the polymer, add a couple of drops and smear it over the entire polymer surface, hopeyfully that will solve the sequeaking issue.

As for the star drag knob coming off without disengaging the quick release, it could be that the quick release never engages the spindle grove. I have never had this problem, but it should be a fairly easy diagnosis. If you look inside the drag knob and you can see the retaining disk (part 4 from the exploded view), try pushing the quick release and if you see it move in-and-out it should engage the spindle grove. I would try removing the spool and putting the drag knob on to see if you can get the quick release to engage the spindle grove. If it works with the spool removed, something is amis, possibly the spacing is wrong. Second, given you have two of the reels I would try the drag knob from the other reel and see if the problems follows the spool or the drag knob.

It may be that the quick release on one of your drag knob is stuck in the open position so that it never engages the spindle grove.

Let me know.

Fishgrog,

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have 2 x M7s and had trouble with the drag on high settings for chinook untill I got the upgrade to the 4 rollers - they have performed flawlessly since. I found John at Bauer to be very helpfull and had no problems from Bauer with sending the reels from Canada to the US and back. They are a small operation and I would persist in attempts at contacting Bauer directly - it would be worth figuring out the time change and phoning to discuss your problem. Contact info is on their site.
speydoc

·
Registered
71 Posts
I too am a Bauer fanatic and have several both M6 and M7´s. I have just solved above problem to a recent Bauer customer that had similar problems to a M7. The squeeking is no doubt a lack of lubricant, lube the cork well and leave it off the reel for a day or two so that the lubricant soaks into the cork well. Make sure that the cork is not floating in oil (but only stays humid) before putting it onto the reel. (too much oil can accutually dissolve the glue holding the cork and then the cork discs will twist under tension).

The Star knob problem could be that little spring inside the knob that, actually should jump out to lock the knob on the little groove in the axis top.
Remove the two small screws on top of the star knob and lube this spring and make sure NOT to tighten the screws too hard when putting back again.
Or it could be that there is a little dirt on that spring, keeping it form jumping out and locking the knob.

I have though also experienced that, purchasing a new replacement star knob to an older version M7 would´nt fit simply because there had been a change in the numbers of threading on the axis (but suppose thats a different problem).

Michael

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry I dont know what "needsfoot" oil is ? But use the original Bauer oil or basic ACID FREE oil.

Forgot to mention that, I have used the Bauers FOR YEEEARS, and troublefree. They last long, look good and best, they have a very simple but cleverly thought through technique.

One thing though, wet the reel under the water when start fishing, this will set the brake inertia right, before a pull.

The are "Flawless".
Michael

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Michael

Neatsfoot oil is used to restore dry and brittle leather, its recommended by manufacturers reels of cork and drawbar drag systems (such as Abel and Tibor) for treatment of cork disc drag surfaces, usually after considerable period of time in use. I'm surprised that you have not had any problems using the standard Bauer lubricant on the cork. I'm aslo interested in your recommendation to wet the reel before use as I have always thought this was not recommended with cork disc drags due to their propensity to slip when wet (fantastic for Tarpon or Tuna in a boat when you need 5lbs of drag pressure but not so failsafe on a freezing wet day in Scotland - don't get me wrong I love them but am coming to the conclusion that sealed systems such as the Vosseler S3, Ari T Hart V or, best of all but at a price, Charlton 8550 suit my needs better as they can be set with the lightest of checks yet offer serious stopping power when needed. Interesting discussion !

cheers
Caolal

·
Registered
71 Posts
Caolal.

Ok, then needsfoot oil must be what we call "acid free" oil, I get it, same stuff, different name.
I have noted a difference in the oil from bauer verses Acid free oil, I just mentioned the bauer oil as it comes with the reel, and I have not problems caused directly by the oil.

Regarding wetting the reel, I experience that a cork disc loosens up tension when wet, therefore I wet it before anything fortunate should happen. If you are able to keep it dry at all times then no worry, but when wading, there is always a risk to wet the reel and you could get a surprise from a looser tension than expected.

My experience in sealed braking systems is limited, I had several Loop, Ross, Voessler and others, - but I dont like them, they are not 100% stabil/even and the inertia differs too much, last - when running really warm, they adjust themselves and are uncontrolled. I might be wrong, but thats how I experience some of them.
I am forever in love with cork discs (have a few click a... Hardies) and then I must say that, the Bauer is good priced, good qa, brilliantly designed and engineered for easy use and maintenance. A simple and effective reel at the cost !

Michael

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Light tension and oil

should keep the Bauer from getting water in the drag surface when dunked in water, so there is little or no change in drag. At least that has been my experience with my Bauer and Abel reels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts