Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post! I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided to join.

I'm looking for my first Spey reel. I am looking for a reel that will be capable of holding about 200 yards of 30# with the Rio WC 8/9/10 Versi-Tip Spey line.

I've been looking at the Bauer JM5 reel. I'm new to spey fishing and would like to save some cash now (using this reel for 2 years ... then as a back up) before sinking some serious cash into a Ross, Loop, or Hardy.

Do you guys have any opinions / reviews of this reel? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Robin

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Welcome!

I only own the M7 but I love it. Generally the Bauer reels have offered great quality at a fair price with an smooth drag system. I haven't played with the JM's but if they offer the same drag it should be OK with 200 or so yds of 30#, maybe a little less. Midlengths might give you a problem, long bellies definitley would be out of the running. But for the application it sounds like a good way to catch some fish!

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Robin--welcome!

You mention Loop in your post.

You can get yourself a Loop that might fit your needs. The new Loop Evotec CLW will hold the line and backing you mention, and retails for @ $170 CDN.

I haven't fished the Bauers but a friend of mine uses them for steelhead and quite likes them.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Dana -

I am really looking forward to field testing the CLW. The LOOP Evotec 11/14 HD is absolutely my prized possession when it comes to spey reels. I am thinking with this innovation in lightweight and lower cost materials on similar mechanical basis (drag, etc) I can put LOOP technology on a lot of my rods!

·
Banned
103 Posts
I owned the JM3 for a few years and loved it. Very light, no problems at all. I ended up upgrading it to a different reel late last year when I had some spare $$$ hanging around. Bauers are great reels, one of two brands I fish exclusively (the other brand is Waterworks/Lamson).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used the JM5 with a 7/8/9 WC floater for a couple of years. I know that I have at least 150 yards of 30# backing on it. I like it and I've had no problems with it. My only complaint is that it is a little light on the rod when I'm swinging flies.

-Chris

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Bauer (J)M5

As far as I know, the Bauer JM5 (junior mac, little mac) is the same size as the (big mac)M5. At least they were before Bauer redifined the line and brought out the new models. I have two of the old M5's. One is an original Mackenzie 5, the other is a Mackenzie Lite, with the holes in the frame. Same size reel althought it may now be called an ML6 or something like that. At any rate, It will hold a 7/8 XLT line with plenty of 30# backing. Do a search for Bauer reels and you will find a lot of threads on other peoples experiences with these reels. Generally, all good. The only complaint I can come with is they don't "sing" loud enough. :chuckle:

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I don't own any Bauer reels, however I do have several Loop reels that are just a joy use. I will take a Loop product over anything on the market today.

With regards to Bauer reels, I have heard nothing but good remarks. Good luck with it.

·
Banned
103 Posts
What's the warranty like on Loop reels? I believe that Bauers carry a lifetime warranty, but am not certain.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I own Loop Evotec HD 9/13 and LW 8/12.
Despite what Loop advertises, both reels have the same spool size and capacity. The difference is in drag. HD has much stronger drag, however LW drag is sufficient for largest steelhead.
I have on my HD Rio MidSpey 8/9 + 190 yards of 30 lb Cortland Micron ( regular backing).
Using 8/9/10 WC you should be able to put slightly more backing.

Salmo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts