Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed orvis has a deal where you can buy a mid arbor reel and recieve a free spool. Do you think the largest size would be adequate for say a six weight spey rod for summer steelies? I use the next size down for single handed rods and really like it. Just wondering if I could pull it off with a smaller spey rod, possibly adding weight to balance? Seems like a really good deal spare spools are always nice especially at that price! Kevin

·
Registered
98 Posts
The mid arbor V (the largest size rating) claims to be for a 9/10 reel. Those reels are pretty much the same a Pfleugor Trion, identical drag and apparently the spools are interchangeable...I use a 9/10 Trion on my 11 foot 6w switch rod. Holds 100 yards of 30lb backing and a 10w Rio Outbound (that line is single hand rated in case you didn't know) with no problems. Reel actually balances the setup very nicely and appears proportionate in size as well. Lower cork is 4" and the upper hand cork is 11" long
I think it will suite your needs if your not needy for allot of backing...and if you are...go with gelspun...or cut back the fly line from the back end (depending on length I guess)
Good deal too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.