Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I'm thinking about fishing some bass ponds and bigger lakes this fall because they're so close. How many of you are fishing shorter two-handers, or any two-handers for Bucketmouth?

Tell me about your set-ups. I'm envisioning a 10'-6" rod with a floating head looped to a mono running line, stout leaders and big flies.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Its mainly what i chase over here in my home rivers as i havent a trout or decent size trout rivers in litteraly 600 + kilometers of brisbane.
Mainly use my 5 wt switch to throw surface or just sub surface flies, this is all still water ill add, our rivers here in brisbane either flood or are still.
Sometimes get to a near by river to chase smaller bass on a micro spey (4wt conversion) which is a bit of fun on light gear using a 4 wt ambush 195gr line, tight pocket water and all surface

Attachments

·
swingtime
14 Posts
personally i have tried the spey and switch on the stillwater--i find that a good powerful single hander with a big fat WF line is far more accurate..also far less comotion on the water --tearing the line off the water on a flat pond must sound like an earthquake underewater--on the rivers there is current so the sound is kinda par for the course-i hate to be non sppey here but i for instance use a 9wt LOOP booster rod with a SA titan taper line that cast a country mile with a piece of sod attached to it...8 wt flystik for the smallies--and 6wt LOOP evotec for the pans--i also upsize my rods so i dont end up killing fish fighting them for too long. i am newb here but thats my piece. oh and if your in a canoe and casting a switch all day--you arm will look like rafal nadals by noon--a lotta of rod to move all day...:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a blast fishing for smallmouth in Quebec. I used a 12' 5wt spey and it worked fine, but I was fishing from a boat and a single hand rod would've been better. I like the DH rod from shore, but I've found SH simpler from a boat.

The fishing was great though, and fly easily outfished my friends using gear rods. The bass would crush muddlers stripped on the surface, and small leeches subsurface too. Lots of fun.

·
swingtime
14 Posts
sounds like a good time--but there is certainly easier ways to get onto the still water -like you said SH does work better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts