TFO 12'6"-6wt,
Snowbee 12'-6/7 or 12'6"7/8,
Meiser's switch rods or lightweight speys
CND Spey Tracker, Solstice 13'4", Custom 1307, Expert 1306,
Sage 5120, or 6126

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm experimenting with 2 handed rods for bass too. Although I'm not sure how well it is going to work yet. Since you are going to want to strip in line to give the fly action you don't want to use a long or mid belly line. These lines are great for salmon and steelhead fishing where you are swinging a fly but they are a pain if you want to strip in line. They really want to be fished at a relatively constant length.

I have a Scandanavian shooting head on order from the local shop. I'm going to give underhanded casting with the shooting head try. I think the shooting head will be better suited to fishing for bass and pickerel. I may even try a little experimental striper fishing on the coast.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh Yeah

I use spey rods for smallies quite a bit and I second MJC's post. All of the rods he has listed in there would make great spey rods for smallies and small Pike. One of my favorites is the Sage 5120.

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
I'll rise to this fly

RB,

I'm using a Meiser 13' 6/7. It can get the larger and a little heavier flies out there. The biggest trouble I have is spey casting the real heavies when wet. Like big furry things out of wool and rabbit. I don't know what flies some guys are throwing with the real light stuff. I have been throwing clousers lately. The walleye have recently been on the bite. I like the 6/7 because I can run into a stray summer steelhead, a lake run brown or an early king. This rod is pretty versatile for all of the above. Though I would like to try the Meiser 4/5/6 for bass and walleye.

Your choice depends on the river size, length of cast, type of sinktip, type of fly you will use, size of fish, and your casting preferences.

Have fun choosing.

Gary

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hi Robert, I would recommend the Loop Blue 8116 for the Bass and the Loop green 9116 for the Pike.

Brian Niska

1 - 6 of 6 Posts