Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew the name alone would bring you!

I was rummaging around some of my dad's old fly tying stuff, and found these old hooks he used to use bass fishing. He'd slide a plastic worm on here, and head to the lake.

I got to wondering what a dunt might look like on this hook. A chromer would have to open wide for this! 2.25" straight eye, 11/16" gap! Quite a keel!

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,507 Posts
I like the look a lot. Please don't fish it where you are likely to hook a wild fish though. That huge gap would be literally deadly.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
good job with this one bob! Your tying his really coming along, as you know thats a very unorthodox hook for that style but I think you did a fine job on it! I think this hook in a smaller size (or reshaped a bit) would make a great summer dry line iron.

Hope we can fish soon!

·
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Josh - you bring up an interesting point about fly patterns and the appropriate hook for each. Is there a site or reference where one might learn more about the marriage between iron and pattern, or is it just time in the game? I've not found anything yet, but then, I've had to spend some time fishing and not surfing.

I think I've figured out that dee patterns should be tied on longer, straight-shanked hooks, but other than that, it seems like it's a matter of taste or intuition.

~Bob

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Bob, I think that really is a nice looking iron. Re shaped a bit w a tighter gape and that's a sexy looking hook IMO. What's the make of that hook ?

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Very nice tie!

That hook is just asking for it's eye to be snipped & replaced with a blind-eye loop ;)

Mike

·
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, for the compliments! This is fun stuff!

I reckon Dad bought these hooks 30-40 years ago. You can see the barb up by the eye that kept the rubber worm from slipping.

So, if this iron has an eye on it already, why would I clip it off, file a nice taper, and tie on another eye?

a. Will it fish better?
b. Does it have more to do with tradition?
c. Old school methods?
d. Dee flies (and spey) use a certain style hook, and this ain't one of 'em?
e. Because that's the way it's done, old son!!

·
Undertaker
1,368 Posts
old hooks

nice fly. I love to see odd old hooks being used to make fancy flies. I often tie intruders on an old Mustad long shanked hook with two slices in the shank. I got them dirt cheap and they're just fine for that use. There is a seller on the auction site that has been unloading lots of discontinued Mustads, many of which are great for tying steelhead flies. I have a drawer full of them. Some are blind eye (Chesterton). One bit of advice for those adventurous souls who want to give it a try - avoid hooks that are Kirbed (or Kirby style) or reversed. These have offset points and can make your fly swim on its side - or spin:eek:. They can be bent straight, but that might reduce their strength.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You are right about Dees being on long straight shanked hooks. Scroll through feathersfliesandphantoms to see some vintage as well as modern Dee and spey flies to get an idea of what they looked like.

·
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks amigo! I'll take a look.

You, Matt, and I need to get on the water again. My boat is wanting to get wet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts