Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked late last night so I played hookey from work this morning and went to the local pond to try a few flies. One of them was a bass bug tied on a plastic qtip body. It worked pretty well. I managed to catch a little bass and the fly got hammered by sunfish too small to actually fit the fly in their mouth. Because the fly is tied on a light plastic tube even a soaked deerhair bug floats like a cork. I used a Daiichi x150 hook behind the fly. The hook was a bit heavy and may have slid back from the fly because I left it loose behind the fly. One of the other things I noticed is that the tail NEVER got twisted around the hook bend no matter how badly I casted. I only brought my 4 wt single handed rod but I still managed to throw the fly pretty far. I assume because it is tied on a light plastic tube rather than a big metal hook.

The only negative I sould see is that the fly tended to spiral in the water, but that may not be a bad thing for a bass bug. (I tied the fly as a slider rather than a popper.)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I may change my mind. The reason is that I think the short hooks that are used with tube flies not hooking fish very well. I went 0 for 2 on fish I considered pretty well hooked, but lost both. These are fish I'm pretty sure I should have landed. The fact that there is another post on the board where people are discussing their landing percentage leads me to believe that we may be loosing more fish than we should becasue the hooks used with tube flies don't hold as well. Which is too bad because bass bugs tied on plastic tubes float like corks. Even if they strongly dive, they pop right back up. They float even if you only make a single backcast to dry them off.

On the other hand I could be wrong...

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
I think if you do a little more research you will find that a main reason that people fish short hooks is that they hold much better than longer shanked hooks. If you search on hooks, you will find a wealth of input.

Some of us are willing to give up a percentage of landed fish in exchange for fishing specific styles of hooks. As with many things in the sport, this is a personal decision and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Either way, if you like the looks of tubes or not, the short hooks hold much better.

And the statistician in me thinks that an n of 2 is far too small to allow any inference. Keep fishing them and you may find you streak get turned around.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sinktip said:
And the statistician in me thinks that an n of 2 is far too small to allow any inference. Keep fishing them and you may find you streak get turned around.
This is why I asked, because I don't have enough data. Just a frustrating day fishing. :(

OK, I'll give 'em another go.

Let me ask a slightly different question. I've been using Daiichi X510 hooks because that's what the HMH tube kit came with. They seem like REALLY heavy wire hooks. What's a good lighter wire short hook to use with tube flies?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
What's a good lighter wire short hook to use with tube flies?
Kamasan B982 or lighter still Owner Mosquito hooks.

As Mr. Tip said a search of the archives will show what the members, some with considerable experience on this subject have decided as to the best tube fly hook length. Having said that I think you should do your own experiments and decide for yourself what really works and doesn't. If you like long tube fly hooks then that is what I would use.

If you want a good little bass bug find Kush's picture of the "Booby" fly and tie a few. It can also be a killer fished on a fast sinking line.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
If you are fishing for largemouth bass, the hooking problem is probably related to the fairly small gap of the Daiichi 510, which also isn't available in sizes with large gaps. That is why hook makers put the so-called bass bug hooks on the market many years ago (about 35 if memory serves me right). The bass bug hooks have a gap 2.5 to 3 times as large as other hooks of the same size. Largemouths have a fair sized mouth and that is why the large gap bass bug hooks work much better.

A better choice of hook for bass tube flies would be the salmon siwish models from folks like Gamakatsu because they have a large gap and are available in the larger sizes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Owner Mosquito

I'll second the Owner Mosquito hooks recommendation. They're my favorite for intruder style / needle style flies. I usually use #2, #1, or 1/0 depending on the size of the fish.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
A better choice of hook for bass tube flies would be the salmon siwish models from folks like Gamakatsu because they have a large gap and are available in the larger sizes.

How about the Owner " SSW"

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
A number of years ago when I first started experimenting with tubes, Les Johnson told me to get the Gamie SC15 hooks. I figured since he literally co-wrote the book on tube flies that he should know. I have since switched to another hook for most tubes but I still use the SC15's for fishing Boob Tubes.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Mr. Tip...

I have since switched to another hook for most tubes

I don't know about anyone else but I'm waiting for your insight as to what hook you've switched to.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
:hihi:

Mike,

I would tell you if I knew. A few year's ago, my buddy NorthFrk16 gave The Sultan of Splice and I a selection of hooks and suggested they might make good tube fly hooks. One of the bunch was an Eagle Claw hook (not for fly fishing). It had a nice sharp point, a decent gap and above all it was somewhat heavy. I loved them and so one day I was in the store and told him how much I liked them. He said they were no longer made but he had some in his Blazer and he didn't fish tubes much. He brought them in and the manager of the shop and I ended up splitting all he had left. I still have a few left and even though I don't fish winter tubes much anymore, when I do, these are the hook I use.

And by the way Mike, it was a lovely morning over here this AM, I hope you have been getting some of the same sunshine over your way. If not, have no fear, the good weather is coming.

'tip

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Yes we have had great weather. Hot enough for wet wading and to bring out some wonderous sights of the feminine persuasion :smokin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts