Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help on picking out reel/spool for proper fit for a Sage 7141-4 or 9141-4. From what I have read in here I will likely use a midspey line on which ever one I pick up.

Most my existing reels are abel and have considered get a big game #3 spool for my super 8, or just buying a new reel, but I need to know what capacities I should be looking at for WF-line to equate over to spey line.

Lastly, has anyone had much experiance with the Hardy Bougle reels? Would the 4" reel work ok? I found one I can pick up for not much more than a #3 spool.

Oh, I know what your thinkin, ya'll got me--it was more than just one basic question--but give me a break--I'm an highly excited spey newbie.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Having read your other post I don't think you'd have any problem with the hardy.. I have a friend who uses one for chinook all the time in Alaska and Kamchatka.

Basically you want a reel that can hold at least wf 10 and 250-300 yards of backing. you can go a tiny bit smaller for the 7wt but not much. Not cause you need the backing but because spey lines take up a lot of room on a reel.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The Bougle will do very well, its capacity is very good, plus the sound.... there is nothing like a Hardy :smokin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts