Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bamboo Warrior
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Im looking for some bamboo blanks for an 11'ish switch rod. Also recommendations on spliced vs traditional ferrules would be a great help. Thanks guys

·
Bamboo Rod Maker
327 Posts
Switch rod blanks

I have been making bamboo switch rods for several years and have a lot of rods in service around the Great Lakes. I don't sell blanks so not much help here. Splices or ferrules is your choice. All of my rods have ferrules and I have not had any trouble with them. A given rod taper will perform a little better with ferrules than it will with splices. Ferrules are a lot more conveniant if you are doing a lot of moving from stream to stream.

Jerry

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Boo Baby Boo!

In the shorter rods casting a 'Boo spey is a life experience; 'hang the cost,' just get one!
:smokin:

fae

·
Bamboo Warrior
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ARE...is that Anglers Roost? I looked at the Warra blanks was unsure of the quality of them

·
R J Ruwe
260 Posts
I have two of their graphite blanks and was pleased with them. I haven't tried the bamboo but have heard they were pretty good.

Hey Fred, the temp. here has been in high teens and low twenties lately so I have been taking my hummingbird feeders in at dark. Put them back out at the crack of dawn and the birds are waiting for me. Today two of them landed and started feeding as I was trying to hang the feeder. Fun!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
A given rod taper will perform a little better with ferrules than it will with splices.

Jerry
That's quite a blanket statement...... However I think there are an awful lot of anglers that may disagree completely with it.

I would think that unless someone had actual, personal experience with all bamboo rods, from all makers, in all configurations that it would be very difficult, if not impossible to be able to draw such definitive conclusions and state them as fact on the internet?

NY Steelhead.....

The Anglers roost blanks are most likely going to be the most readily available option for you in the hunt for a cane 2 handed blank. I do not know of any cane rod makers that offer 2 handed rod blanks however you could post your inquiry on the "classic fly rod forum" and you may find out some additional information or names of some makers who do offer blanks. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on that forum when it comes to bamboo rods.

You can choose either ferrules or splice joints, on a well designed and well made rod either will perform for you. Both options offer a +/- that you can weigh out to see which may suit you and your fishing. You can also search on the classic fly rod forum (CFFF) for discussions on this very subject.

Also keep your eye on the classifieds section of both Speypages as well as the CFFF for second hand rods that may suit you (if you would also consider a used rod as opposed to a blank?). I would think that a "wanted" or a "WTB" posting would yield quicker results than waiting to see a rod/blank posted for sale.

Good luck on your hunt!

Cheers and tight lines.
James

·
Bamboo Warrior
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's quite a blanket statement...... However I think there are an awful lot of anglers that may disagree completely with it.

I would think that unless someone had actual, personal experience with all bamboo rods, from all makers, in all configurations that it would be very difficult, if not impossible to be able to draw such definitive conclusions and state them as fact on the internet?

NY Steelhead.....

The Anglers roost blanks are most likely going to be the most readily available option for you in the hunt for a cane 2 handed blank. I do not know of any cane rod makers that offer 2 handed rod blanks however you could post your inquiry on the "classic fly rod forum" and you may find out some additional information or names of some makers who do offer blanks. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on that forum when it comes to bamboo rods.

You can choose either ferrules or splice joints, on a well designed and well made rod either will perform for you. Both options offer a +/- that you can weigh out to see which may suit you and your fishing. You can also search on the classic fly rod forum (CFFF) for discussions on this very subject.

Also keep your eye on the classifieds section of both Speypages as well as the CFFF for second hand rods that may suit you (if you would also consider a used rod as opposed to a blank?). I would think that a "wanted" or a "WTB" posting would yield quicker results than waiting to see a rod/blank posted for sale.

Good luck on your hunt!

Cheers and tight lines.
James
Hey james thanks for the help, some good suggestions. Eventually I would like to make my own rod, the initial start up cost for all the tools is pretty steep for me right now.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Yeah, I'm wondering what the metrics are for "perform" and how it can actually be determined what is meant by "better."

·
Bamboo Warrior
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm wondering what the metrics are for "perform" and how it can actually be determined what is meant by "better."
I have read that its more of durability then "better" a traditional nickel silver is not as flexible so if a rod would break, it would be at the ferrule. Where as the splice will flex. My concern is the electric tape for a splice and how that holds up in freezing temps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Having spent many hours dreaming about splice joint cane spey rods and currently building the tools to make cane rods, the first type of tape that I was to try for winter steelhead is clear plastic hockey tape. It stretches well, realitively low tack to not remove the finish and can withstand low temps.

McMaster Carr is also a good source for hard to find EVERYTHING!
Just don't tell your wives that I turned you onto this place, my wife uses it as a verb. When referring to projects around the house that I have completed, she asks "You McMaster Carred it didn't you?". :tsk_tsk:

·
Please don't stand behind
153 Posts
I have read that its more of durability then "better" a traditional nickel silver is not as flexible so if a rod would break, it would be at the ferrule. Where as the splice will flex. My concern is the electric tape for a splice and how that holds up in freezing temps.
I received my bamboo spliced switch early this fall and spent 4 days on the water with it in 30 - 40 degree weather. The tape holds up fine in the cold weather (it is a clear hockey tape). Unfortunately I haven't had a pull yet but it will come. It has been more enjoyable to fish than any of my other switch rods.

·
Bamboo Warrior
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having spent many hours dreaming about splice joint cane spey rods and currently building the tools to make cane rods, the first type of tape that I was to try for winter steelhead is clear plastic hockey tape. It stretches well, realitively low tack to not remove the finish and can withstand low temps.

McMaster Carr is also a good source for hard to find EVERYTHING!
Just don't tell your wives that I turned you onto this place, my wife uses it as a verb. When referring to projects around the house that I have completed, she asks "You McMaster Carred it didn't you?". :tsk_tsk:
thanks for the input and the McMaster reference, my wife has similar verbs for fishing projects that I cant post here! I will have to check it out for some taper measurements and also where the splice will be in relationship to the spline of the rod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts