Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I had a friend make a 13'6" rod for me, he asked me to bring him the reel and line I was going to use on it. He set it up so the rod and reel balance right at my top hand position.

Now that I've been fishing a Sage 8126 more, I noticed this rod balances a little too high up. It's a bit more tiring. I notice it especially when leading a drift one handed, or doing anything else one handed. Is there a way to open up the butt to add a little weight? Could I just wrap something on the rod seat?

It's hard to image that there's a reel heavier for its size than the Scientific Anglers 89 System two I'm using on it. With line it's 11.06 oz. I gave up on my Ross Canyon 4, because it's way too light. Too small, too. Do I have to go bigger to find something heavier?

Do you suppose I could spin on a couple oz. of lead core trolling line under the backing since the reel seems to have plenty of capacity? I wonder how much backing I'd lose.

·
Rodbuilder
106 Posts
Balancing a rod

Another option is to use adhesive lead tape available at golf pro shops. Take the spool off and place it on the body where it wont interfer with the mechanics of the reel. Don't put it on the spool unless it's a balanced wrpa on the arbor.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Just hold the rod where it balances. If is above the handle, hold on the blank. You can even feel what is going on down the line better.

Rich

1 - 3 of 3 Posts