Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Got a Loop Blue Line 15ft which I love. Only slight problem is the balance of the rod. It seems very tip heavy. I've tried a number of different reels on it and cant get the balance point anywhere near the handle. I remember reading somewhere (maybe on here) that the reel seat should be downlocking on longer rods, not uplocking, as this rod is.

Anyway, Ive got the rod and I'm happy with the way it casts. Is there a solution. Can the reel seat be taken off and moved the other way up? Are there any heavier reels out there that will balance the rod correctly?

Dana, as the Loop guy, are Loop aware of this and is there anything they recommend to get the rod to balance correctly?

Look forward to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Sam

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Try to use HD 11-14 Danielsson or old Loop reel.
This one should easily balance the 15' Blue.

Salmo

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
balancing

I've done something similar to what Peter mentions, just using lead core fishing line instead. I'd recommend just using lead on the reel if you might sell the rod later on.
If this is a rod you see keeping and using 'forever', I recommend getting with Bob Meiser. He is very knowledgeable and his work is first rate. If you have a preferred reel/line, you could send that to him too, to help him fine tune the balance since it's all part of the picture.
Good luck!

Carl

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Switching a reel seat is a chore, the type of thing that I'd leave to a pro if you haven't done rod work in the past. Its a hard way to get started.

LC13 wrapped on the reel, before backing, works fine. 34' LC13 = 1 ounce.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I know of two Sage 10160-3 rods that had the problem solved by removing the lower grip and mixing a blend of epoxy and lead shotgun shot, place the mix into the hollow butt of the rod blank. The addtional weight is not uncomfortable as it counteracts the tip heavy rod struggle.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same problem with a couple of my longer rods. I tried a few of the things suggested on this board several years ago. In the end, I figured out that it was better not to try to balance the rod. Although initially it may feel a little uncomfortable, adding weight anywhere makes your job harder. Weight (inertia) has a critical effect on casting ability and endurance. Adding any is just going wear you out more in the long run. Heck, the thing will cast better with the balance more towards the tip anyway. Leave it alone. (IMHO)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I understand your problem very well. I do know the balanced rod and reel is very important for all day fishing - casting and swinging.The importance of balance between rods and reels is clearly written in the book-the greased line for fishing. I have made somebody change uplocking to downlocking reel seats, 6 spey rods because I could use lighter reels-1 Sage spey rod, 2 GLX 9116 and the handle corks were bad- old model GLX spey rods. Each procedure cost me $200 USD. I am happy with those redone rods- the best corks, the best reel seats and lighter reels can be used. However, I do not want any more redoing on my spey rods unless the corks become bad, because I have found there are the heavy spey reels on the market, it cost money,and I do less mind heavy but well balanced rods and reels these days. In terms of the rod and reel balance, Sage traditional 9150 is well balanced with 14 to 16oz reels without backing line, Sage European 10151 with 16 to 18, GLX11156 with 18 to 20, andT&T 10150 with 14 oz reels. I do not know the physical wt. of your spey rod, but you will figure out. As you see, the reel weight does not go with rod physical weight. T&T 10150 has the heaviest physical wt. but it requires the lightest reel among the abve 4 rods because it is butt -heavy compared to Sage rods. GLX11156 has the shortest handle among the above 4 rods. The balance can vary depending on total length of handle, down vs. uplocking reel seat, rod designing (tip vs. butt heavy), and lastly the position of your top hand. Regarding of adding wt. on reels which can be done but I do not believe it is very effective with LC-13,meaning max. wt. you can add is about 3 oz, I added 120' LC-13 ( about 3 oz total) to Hardy salmon JLH before backing line to balance Sage 8136. JLH salmon is not large arbor and has large line capacity- 120' LC-13 will take up line capacity and it only add 3 oz more. I do not recommend adding wt. on the rod butt section because it will be permanent. You might find some reel you will go crazy about in the future. My advice for you is that you should find a right reel for your favorite rod to give you the best balance. There are all kind different reels with different weights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts